Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I was given a rousseau jdx 6 mouthpiece and I'm having a couple of problems with it (at least I think it's the mouthpiece). First, I'm playing sharp. I'm trying to tune against my guitar tuner by playing an f# to match an A note on the tuner. No matter how far I pull the mouthpiece off the neck I'm still sharp. The second problem I'm having is a bit of a buzz. I'm sure it's not the horn since it sounds fine with the old conn mouthpiece I have (which I messed up by washing with hot water). any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
What model Baritone do you play?

It is probably the fact the shank on those Rousseau mpcs are quite short. Some Baris require long shank pieces in order to play correctly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
The question above,"what model baritone do you play", is very appropriate. Vintage bari's often require larger chamber lower baffle mouthpieces in order to play in tune. This I have learned through my own experience with my Vintage horn. Frequently small chamber, high baffle so-called Jazz mouthpieces won't work well. Since you said that your old Conn piece played well on the horn, I'm guessing thats your problem. This doesn't mean your stuck with the old "dill pickle" style mouthpiece. For example, a Berg Larsen with a 2 chamber or a Selmer soloist or even S -80 would probably work fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your quick responses. I do have a vintage beuscher 400 serial #407XXX and below the serial is 1080, is that a model#, so it sounds like your diagnosis is correct. thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.