Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We are new to this thread and are going to try out the Cannonball Bari B5L on Sunday. It is barely used, apparently. But, we have also been offered a Yani B-991 for 6899.00 and think it is a far better horn with better re-sale...any tips for us?
thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Re: Help with purchasing a nearly new Cannonball Bari B5L for 3200.00 vs. a Yanagisawa B-991 for 689

You won't know until you've played them both for yourself, but Cannonball makes a much better saxophone than the price might suggest. As far as resale...the issue isn't really about how much you can get for it when you resell it as it is about how much more or how much less that figure will be compared to what you paid for it. The Cannonball should maintain its value reasonably well if it's kept in good condition. Because of the price though, I would think it might be easier to resell a Cannonball simply because more people can afford it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
Re: Help with purchasing a nearly new Cannonball Bari B5L for 3200.00 vs. a Yanagisawa B-991 for 689

It was only a few years ago you could get a new Cannonball bari for $3,500. With the economy the way it is, I'd figure you could bargain down the price a bit more from $3,200 for a used CB bari if you dig the horn. $3,200 could buy you a lot of other brands sold used as well.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts

Gerdie, can you tell us roughly where you live, for example in which state/province or near which large city? We might be able to suggest some stores you can visit having a decent inventory, depending on are where you are.

·
Registered
542 Posts

If it is used, then this is all about margins. If they haven't done anything to increase their cost and don't have to (ie. repairs regulation) then you have more room typically to negotiate. If you are going there I might ask them how long they have had the horn(s). Typically if they have been in inventory they will be more willing to negotiate. Selling the horn with the best margin or that has been hardest to get sell will probably be at the top of their priority list. Don't mix up your priority list with theirs. Buy the horn that suits your needs best. Only you know what those are. Hopefully, you have an idea of what you are looking for and will be able to evaluate how both the horns fit your needs. Unless you are thinking you aren't likely to keep the horn very long (in which case you might look into renting one) you probably don't need to worry too much about resale value if you are looking at 2 used horns. I would say that both of those prices are on the higher end of what I have seen bari saxes of those models sell for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts