Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing around a year and am a fluent reader having played other instruments, but need help with organising a manageable practise routine. I want to spend about half an hour a day practising and know that I have to do long notes, tongueing exercises and scales/arpeggios as part of this, but need a structured course or book or something to keep me motivated. Also I want to learn to be more flexible and improvise a bit more. I am supposed to be joining a band where i am expected to construct my own parts and really don't know where to start! Can anyone recommend anything?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,925 Posts
I want to spend about half an hour a day practising and know that I have to do long notes, tongueing exercises and scales/arpeggios as part of this,
That's an awful lot to cover in half an hour. Do you think you could at least stretch that to an hour?

I make tonguing exercises part of long note practise, I find that it works very well as it breaks the monotony of long notes, and also helps with tone production. See here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Yeah, long tones alone up and down the range of the horn could take almost that whole time =(

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I quite often will spend my warm-up time playing legato chromatic scales, say from the lowest note up one octave, back and forth, then moving up a half step and repeating the process. Or I may vary this by using the diatonic, minor, blues or bebop scales. You could start memorizing some songs. That will aid your ear training.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies - The Zinn stuff looks ... challenging!> I have been through A TUne A DAy and can play scales/arps to about Grade 4 ABRSM, but will give it a go. I was really looking for books or other material I could work through. i have had some ad hoc lessons and am fairly motivated but need to expand my horizons a bit...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts