Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
i would be giving some child their first piano lessons, age 4 and 6. Well, i have a basic command on piano but i can't consider myself a piano player.
This classes would be introductory and more informal but i want to be sure to give them the right information until they can enroll the music school here in town.
I was thinking of an introduction to the instrument, and how it's cinstructed, the c scale in one octave and how it repeats itself in sucession.
Then talk about the hand posture, right hand first, covering the fith between c and g.
Then make some easy melodies, using two or three notes.
All this without paper until they have some command on these basics.

In the future if everything goes nice i could follow the teaching and complement their more classically oriented music school classes. I am more trained into modern harmony,jazz and improvisation.

What do you think on all this? have some advice? Are there some experienced piano teachers who could help me?

Thanks

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Well I play hardly any piano, but my wife is a classically-trained and certified piano instructor.
I can't speak directly for her, but I think she would advise something like this:
1. Is the student studying to gain some basic knowledge of the keyboard, better understand chords, theory, maybe songwriting, etc., to supplement their primary (non-piano) instrument? If so, then your teaching and/or that online resource should be helpful.
2. Is the student studying to ultimately become a performer (to include "doubling") on the piano? Perhaps get into conservatory and/or become a professional pianist? If so, they should start off with a classically-trained piano teacher (can also be a performer, but must be a competent teacher, which usually means certified).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts