Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Notation Player goes along fine for an Alto Sax part in Treble Clef and then the line suddenly changes to Bass Clef. What do I do with that?? I have no idea how to read it/how to play it/ or how do you transpose it into playable Alto Sax?

Also most often the Sax/Horn part is simply written all the way through in Bass Clef, which I also have no idea what to do with for Alto Sax. (And often it even says it's an Alto Sax part!) Or I'm going along great, then there are notes below the Stave, way below low Bb, which can't play and don't know what to do with?

Currently only have the Free Notation Player which I use. Also have the Free Finale Reader, but it won't open Midi's at all, so it's never been used.

And can someone tell me which Program is best for: adjusting Tempo, Transposing C instrument lines to Eb instrument, to add or change notes, and to Print out each part individually, etc, without spending a ton of money? - Know this is a lot, but also know there are so many of you out there who are way more advandced than I, and you know these answers.

Any help/suggestions welcomed! Please!

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would give Musescore a try. It is free, and allows you to edit your scores and play them at any tempo, transpose them, etc. Musescore

·
Registered
294 Posts
as far as reading bass clef for alto- i believe you just add three(?) sharps to the key signature and play it as it's written.

+1 for musescore. simple, free, and pretty flexible. it can transpose on the fly, and has been helpful if i want something in both alto and tenor and don't want to have to transpose it all my hand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thanks BradWit about how to read the Bass clef. So if it's written in a Bass Clef Key signature with 6 flats, I would add 3 sharps to that? Hmmm, I'm gonna be lost on that one I think.

I'm just not that savvy with musical notation, etc. just yet. What instruments play by Bass clef...anyone know? Besides Bass guitar? Maybe I could find a Forum for those instruments and ask them to help me out a bit more.
Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
It is easy. Adding a sharp equals taking away a flat.

Bass Clef 4 flats .................treble clef 1 flat
Bass Clef 3 flats .................treble clef no sharps or flats
Bass Clef 2 flats .................treble clef 1 sharp
Bass Clef 1 flat ..................treble clef 2 sharps
Bass Clef no #'s or b's .........treble clef 3 sharps

If the bass clef has a natural canceling a flat in its key signature, that becomes a sharp (accidental) in the treble clef
If the bass clef has a natural canceling a sharp in its key signature, that becomes a flat (accidental) in the treble clef

Remember this works for alto and bari, but not soprano and tenor.

The order of the sharps is FCGDAEB which backwards is the order of the flats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow jbtsax, how nicely you laid that out!! Bet you'd be a good Teacher!

But alas, I'm still pretty new and struggling, so will have to sit down with one of these Midis that give me a Bass line with 6 flats (or whatever) and see if I can figure it out. Never having needed to look at Bass clef lines for anything before, it's a bit (OK, to be real....a LOT) foreign to me. The Bass notes aren't even the same as are on my Alto treble Clef. For instance (as YOU of course know I'm sure), what is a G on a Treble line is Not a G on the same line of the Bass clef. (I forget now what note it actually is...) Anyway, looks like there's a lot of converting/transposing to do. And not so sure I'm up for it. I'm just an old 'late bloomer' struggling along.

Just downloaded MuseScore as was suggested to me, and it's far more detailed than Notation Player/Reader was, so already have a learning curve there to work on. Can't get all the Parts to show and don't know how to get rid of the Page previews at the bottom.... arrrgh.

Oh ya, also I had Never realized (nor was ever told) that the order of Sharps, is simply backwards for Flats. What a revelation! Instead I was given a Phrase for the Sharps and a different phrase for the Flats. I still have trouble remembering either of the phrases. You really should be a Teacher/Instructor. You have a way of putting things that is Basic enough for a Beginner like me, but yet complete! Bravo! (Too bad you live so far away or I'd come spend an hour just getting some questions answered that have puzzled me for a while now).

Well, again Thanks!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Actually I am a music teacher who retired after 32 years. Thanks for the complement. As you can see in the attached file, it is very easy to read bass clef music on your alto sax. My teacher showed me this 50 years ago, and I still think it is cool how it works.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you jbtsax for the post and information. I've always wondered how to transpose bass clef to treble clef.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts