Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone could give me a definitive ID of this Otto Link mouthpiece? Sorry, difficult to photograph.
A little back ground.........
I foolishly bought an SML tenor online, unseen, from a general household auction.Please judge me!
How bad can it be, I thought?
Well, very bad indeed. To give you an idea, part of the G-sharp cluster has been remade from either an old spoon or fork-complete with silver hallmarks.
I really think it is beyond repair. Very sad, as it must have been a lovely sax at one time. From the serial number, it appears to be a Rev. D model. Luckily, I paid next to nothing for the sax.
The possible silver lining may be that there was this Otto Link Tone Edge mouthpiece in the case.
Can anyone confirm if it is, as I think from google searches a 'Florida Tone Edge ' No USA Slant Signature' mouthpiece!
Much appreciated.
Is anyone looking for any SML parts? There are some good bits!
Many thanks,
David.
View attachment 100634
View attachment 100642
View attachment 100650
View attachment 100658
View attachment 100666

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
good news is that the mouthpiece is "probably" a slant signature ottolink....
does it have any numbers on it....?
if a tenor,maybe worth $2000
if an alto maybe $600
what sized saxophone.....?
also,if an alto saxophone,maybe i have some parts that would fix yours....!
email me at [email protected] with some photos of the saxophone....
cheers,philip
Is anyone looking for any SML parts? There are some good bits!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,081 Posts
How long is it? Yes, probably worth a bunch.Looks like an alto to me but since it came with a tenor, you may have a winner. Look along the side near the table and it should have some markings like 5*, etc. The higher the number, the better.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Looks like a slant to me. Obviously the signature is slanted. No serial number on the side, and the facing stamp (looks like 4...or maybe 4*) is on the table, which would preclude it from being a 'new' vintage Link. That would make it a 1st generation slant (made in NY). 1st gen. ones are slightly less desirable than 2nd and 3rd in my experience bc the others have a bit more punch to them, which modern players prefer, but they are still quite valuable. 4 isn't a very big tip, so it isn't going to be a super hot commodity, but again, still quite valuable. If it's in good original condition it could easily be worth $1k (not sure what the current market is dictating). Probably at least $750 easily. A 7 or 8 could have been worth twice that, but they are rare as hen's teeth, so I wouldn't feel too bad considering it was an unexpected surprise. The only thing I find odd is that the beak profile looks tapered like a newer one...I suppose there is always the possibility that it is some type of forgery, but that seems unlikely if the mouthpiece was not a selling point. I might just be seeing it wrong. The age of the horn would jive with the age of the mpc if it is indeed an NY slant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good news is that the mouthpiece is "probably" a slant signature ottolink....
does it have any numbers on it....?
if a tenor,maybe worth $2000
if an alto maybe $600
what sized saxophone.....?
also,if an alto saxophone,maybe i have some parts that would fix yours....!
email me at [email protected] with some photos of the saxophone....
cheers,philip
Thanks Philip,
It's a 4, marked on the table. I understand that the higher the number the better, pretty good condition. A few tiny nibbles to the tip and not many bite marks.
Cheers,
David.
It's a tenor sax, unfortunately. Maybe I'll put some pics on here to show the extent of the damage. Maybe someone could make something of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long is it? Yes, probably worth a bunch.Looks like an alto to me but since it came with a tenor, you may have a winner. Look along the side near the table and it should have some markings like 5*, etc. The higher the number, the better.
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your reply. It's a fraction over 100mm, or 3 15/16". Marked with a 4, on the table (I've been googling).I suppose 4 is the low end, but never look a gift horse........ I used to play tenor years ago, and I'm planning to start again soon. It seems to match roughly with the tenor mouthpiece I have. Bigger than my son's alto mouthpiece.
Cheers,
Davi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a slant to me. Obviously the signature is slanted. No serial number on the side, and the facing stamp (looks like 4...or maybe 4*) is on the table, which would preclude it from being a 'new' vintage Link. That would make it a 1st generation slant (made in NY). 1st gen. ones are slightly less desirable than 2nd and 3rd in my experience bc the others have a bit more punch to them, which modern players prefer, but they are still quite valuable. 4 isn't a very big tip, so it isn't going to be a super hot commodity, but again, still quite valuable. If it's in good original condition it could easily be worth $1k (not sure what the current market is dictating). Probably at least $750 easily. A 7 or 8 could have been worth twice that, but they are rare as hen's teeth, so I wouldn't feel too bad considering it was an unexpected surprise. The only thing I find odd is that the beak profile looks tapered like a newer one...I suppose there is always the possibility that it is some type of forgery, but that seems unlikely if the mouthpiece was not a selling point. I might just be seeing it wrong. The age of the horn would jive with the age of the mpc if it is indeed an NY slant.
Hi 1958SelmerMarkVI,
Thanks for your reply. It is marked 4 on the table. I can't rule out a forgery, obviously, but I think it's a little unlikely. Like you say, the sax was what I was buying, no mention of any mouthpieces, unless the original owner was sold a pup. The whole set up looked pretty undisturbed for years. It came with another old ROC mouthpiece. Old reeds etc.. The condition seems pretty good to me. A couple of flea bite nibbles to the tip, but not many bite marks. I'm feeling a bit better about my purchase now, although it really pains me that someone would abuse a lovely old saxophone like that. I think I might post it on here somewhere to see if anyone can make something of it.
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea. Pictures please!
I'll try to do that tonight. If I might gain out of the mouthpiece, I'd be really happy if someone could take the sax and do something with it. Whatever, I'm going to start playing my old True Tone again. Been a few years.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I think the vintage mouthpieces play better in smaller tips.
For me, an old Link 4 is better than a tubby 7*.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,608 Posts
The only thing I find odd is that the beak profile looks tapered like a newer one.
It doesn't look like my Florida slant. I can't find a picture on any of the mouthpiece sites that shows a slant with a beak like that. Maybe it's an extreeeeemely rare example. Or not. Maybe we need another picture.

Mark

View attachment 100738

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would you mind sending pics of the SML? It's a sad story but now I'm very curious!
SMLs are top tier horn, it'd too bad if it ended up in a lamp :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't look like my Florida slant. I can't find a picture on any of the mouthpiece sites that shows a slant with a beak like that. Maybe it's an extreeeeemely rare example. Or not. Maybe we need another picture.

Mark

View attachment 100738
Hi Mark,
that's kind of what I thought from my Google searching. I'll post another pic, hopefully tonight. My instinct is it's not newer. There is a lig. with it. Looks like the shape of the original ligs, but no T stamped on it. Could well not be the original lig..Plot thickens!
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would you mind sending pics of the SML? It's a sad story but now I'm very curious!
SMLs are top tier horn, it'd too bad if it ended up in a lamp :(
Hi Blublub,
Yes, I'll post some up, hopefully tonight.
I think it deserves it, even if only to let folks see just how bad it is.
You know when you go into a pub and there's a collection of battered old instruments on the wall for decoration....way worse than that!
Cheers,
David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts