Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a Martin Alto Saxophone - Serial # 00109603. I'd like to know what year it is and what a good price would be to sell it. I took it to a music store and they said it is in great shape. There is discoloration from age. I also have replaced the mouthpiece with a Yamaha 4C.

Thank you for your help.

Angie

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note

Angie,

I moved this from the thread you posted it in. You should start your own inquiry thread rather than piggy back this question onto another thread topic.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Administrator note

Ok... thank you. I'm new to this site and still learning my way around. I guess I should ask how to start a new thread for this type of question.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Re: Administrator note

Ok... thank you. I'm new to this site and still learning my way around. I guess I should ask how to start a new thread for this type of question.
Hi Angie,

Not a problem. When you select the appropriate sub forum for your topic, simply press the POST NEW THREAD button on the upper left corner of the screen to submit a new thread.

The REPLY TO THREAD button appears in the same spot within a conversation when you wish to make a post in an existing thread.

Welcome to the forums.;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
That serial number would be from the Leblanc years. Martin was sold to Leblanc around 1971 and moved out of Elkhart. For a while they imported Malerne or other Euro horns but settled on Yanagisawa to make them. I suspect yours is one from Japan. Look for JAPAN, Martin in an oval on the bell and right side bell keys. These can be great horns but the lacquer tends to deteriorate rapidly. Go to saxpics and look at some 1970s-80s Yanagisawas and compare. Not 100% sure without a photo but I think I am right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
I think bruce bailey knows more about Martins than anybody else on the planet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Yep. The Martin '880' was a Yani thru and thru, and pretty much a sleeper in today's market. Always obscure, they're even more so today. Probably a decent sax and might even have some surprises in store for a good player. A thoroughly modern 'Selmer-style' sax, a quick tell is the large round bell brace that looks like a Selmer but is larger in diameter. Values unfortunately remain in the 'student' sax range. I would expect one to play as well if not better than a Selmer USA Pro-Line of the '80s into the '90s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Still with no photo, it is hard to give a price. I would say $700 tops if the lacquer and pads are great, $450 if not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts