Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Conn Alto Sax, Serial #H08XXX trying to see exactly what model it is. it has Conn USA on the bell with "Shooting Stars" above it.

Someone guessed it was made in the mid 60's and said the metal is good, no dings or dents. From hearing that, i would like to put some money in it by re-padding and a complete overhaul. any suggestions on what kind of pads, (would like top of the line, professional) mouthpiece would be appreciated.

i do play it weekly with a Otto Link hard rubber tone edge 7* mouthpiece and a Vandoren 2 1/2 Mib-Eb reed. it actually has a nice sound and there's some life left in her besides some leaks and old/new pads from repairs from i would think former owners

also, i was thinking of taking the lacquer off the bell because above the F, E & D keys you can see where i worn down the shine from hitting the bell with my fingertips...i starting to like the natural apperance under the lacquer and with age the Conn USA emblem is faded and turning green...
Richard

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,172 Posts
It's a 50M model from 1966...It was made in USA, Nogales arizona plant.

These are good players. Their market value in good playing/physical condition is around $500.

Now...here is where some people would say 'don't pay for an overhaul, it will cost more than the value of the horn'. And, in a way, that's accurate....if you ever went to sell it you would not be able to recover that money on the resale.

If you can find a tech to work it up, though, it'd be worth it. IMHO.....don't mess with the existing lacquer, just have the horn chemically or sonically cleaned when you get it serviced. It'll look a whole lot better.

If it plays fairly well now, it may bot need an overhaul. You may just wanna set yourself a budget and have a tech work it up within that budget. $300-350, for example, should get you a good 4-5 hours of tech work, which certainly would cover a cleaning, replacing a good half-dozen pads, and a regulating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts