Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Months ago pulled this sax from the rummage sale at my church because I felt that we'd find a better buyer elsewhere. I haven't played sax since middle school and am having a hard time getting precise identification on the instrument.

Tenor sax. It is stenciled TONE KING on the bell. Silver plate. Serial 11447 JKG best in the world modell 3.

I found some similar on saxpics.com but wanted to reach out because I wasn't sure exactly. All pieces in original case. Very likely needs service, no idea how long it's been cased.

Would like to see it in a good home and make some money for the church.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello,
Months ago pulled this sax from the rummage sale at my church because I felt that we'd find a better buyer elsewhere. I haven't played sax since middle school and am having a hard time getting precise identification on the instrument.

Tenor sax. It is stenciled TONE KING on the bell. Silver plate. Serial 11447 JKG best in the world modell 3.

I found some similar on saxpics.com but wanted to reach out because I wasn't sure exactly. All pieces in original case. Very likely needs service, no idea how long it's been cased.

Would like to see it in a good home and make some money for the church. View attachment 7011 View attachment 7012 View attachment 7013
I don’t know too much, but looking at the sax and it’s neck it looks like an alto. Unless it’s a tenor with a straight neck, then that would mean it’s possibly a C-melody.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,139 Posts
Looks like it was taken care of. I agree it looks like an alto.

edit - Google is your friend...Tone King is a stencil made by Keilwerth. Link>>> The New King, Toneking & Stencils (saxpics.com) It's hard to tell which model it may be. Apparently some were made in Czechoslovakia early on. Then the brand moved to Germany. Some were made by Keilwerth and others were made by Amati. Someone here will know more.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,787 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,707 Posts
It is an alto. Neat old horn that will need an overhaul which will likely cost more than the value of the horn itself. You might get a couple hundred bucks for it as is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your kind help. Just wanted to know what to expect before I take it to a local music shop. It seems someone at some point cared for it very much and I hope someone else will do the same.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Modell 3 have a very enviable reputation - see Matt Stohrer's over-view of a King Modell 3 below...

get it repaired and grin your face off :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Modell 3 was Keilwerths standard saxophone at that time. There were also Modell, 2, 1 and Solist (top model) - The difference is mainly a more elaborate finish as well as some minor design changes and thrill keys. These are all great vintage horns.

"Toneking" and "new king" are not stencils. These are names that Keilwerth kept for their models until the late 80's.

There is some market value (imho they are still undervalued) for these and the matt silver finish is not that common. You might find a collector that pays you a couple of hundred $ as it is. Here in germany i've never seen a Modell 3 alto change owners for more than ~800€ (even freshly overhauled).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
I played on the New King models when I was in HS in Germany. Nice find...you got lucky! Someday I may find one like it!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,707 Posts
Please keep in mind good people, that the OP is not interested in keeping the horn to play. Only to sell for his church. Should he get the horn overhauled (which it will no doubt need), he'll never get his money back selling it. In fact, he will lose money for his church.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,350 Posts
Absolutely there is no point in having this sax overhauled, sell as is.

Maybe OP wants to take it to the local shop to see how much they will offer him (generally shops offer less than private buyers) or maybe he wants to see how they play it since he hasn’t played in a while.

Chances are that it may play.

It is certainly a nice sax and a good one, how much to sell it for is the $100,000 question!

this is a search on this site, it shows threads speaking of different Tonekings (includes those made by Amati)

To the right buyer this may be worth even $1000 of course a lot depends on playability. I often buy Keilwerth for selling and they not always get appreciated as much as they should though!

In Germany they tend to be appreciated more. If you look on German ebay you will have an Idea.

Good Luck with the sale

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a few ToneKings and variants. Love the rolled toneholes ... great power. Not as refined as French made horns (flame suit on) but I buy 'em whenever I find them ... however USD + courier + import duties means I buy in Canada only

1 - 13 of 13 Posts