Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have recently bought this for my son to start learning on was bought by original owner in Scotland in 1989 any ideas as to maker? thanks heaps Simone :0)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I'd venture Asian made. What are the inscriptions on the sax besides St Louis?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Chinese modern horn..........not to be nasty, but, what did you expect it to be?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,983 Posts
Simone...probably a good enough student model for a first-time player, so it should serve your son well enough for a few years. Looks like it's in good shape. Did the person who sold it to you say it played up and down completely ? Or has anyone you know who is a sax player tested it ? If not, it may be worth a visit to a sax technician/repair person; just to make sure it's in good playing shape for your son. In the least have a teacher try it and get their impressions.

As others have said, it's an asian-made horn (most are) and if it dosn't have a name engraved on it, it's a bit of a guess as to who made it precisely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this mean it could not have been bought in scotland in 1989 or have chinese copies been around for a while? as you can probably tell we are new to this and cant afford to buy twice so i need to make sure it will be good enough for my son to learn on thanks heaps simone :0)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have yet to pick it up so any advice as to what to look for/check would be greatly appreciated thanks :0)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
If you haven't paid yet there are certainly other horns around... The long rods in pic #1 will be prone to bending but who knows... It might play well...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
If it was either Chinese or Taiwanese made in 1989 I would avoid this horn like the plague.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankyou so much for you help i guess maybe shouldn't buy then. What can people recommend for a beginner on a modest budget? many thanks :0)

·
8,588 Posts
What's your budget?

·
8,588 Posts
Add YAS 21 and 25 to your list, but do tell us your budget.

·
38,865 Posts
Chinese and Taiwanese saxophones have been around for a long time. In Taiwan the quality has been much higher than in China for a very long time but lately the many Chinese factories have showed that they are capable of producing good products. Since most brands produce for private labels or OEM products , and without any doubt this is , it is almost impossible to relate any brandname to any particular factory unless you were the original person who commissioned the saxophones. In all honesty this saxophone doesn't look like a 1989 horn, and probably it would be better that it wasn't because at that stage there were practically no good examples coming from China and only few coming from Taiwan.I personally wouldn't risk my money on a horn like this and would go either for a more modern asian horn or even better with a vintage student horn in good revised state.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have found webite Aquilasax in NZ which is where i am and these seem reasonably priced would one of these suit him ? thanks all :0)

·
38,865 Posts
Aquilasax sources his saxophones in China , Steve Wedgwood , the owner, is also a SOTW member. They are famous for the their C melodies but also other saxophones that they sell are gaining in fame. They offer good quality at an affordable price and do also some charity work in developing countries, so your money is also used for a good purpose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you be so kind as to have a look at thier website and recommend an alto model that would be suitable for my 11 yr old beginner? thankyou for your help as i have no idea what im doing and realise its important my son starts with something suitable :0)

·
38,865 Posts
yes I will do that but have you also considered the Bauhaus Walstein saxophones? I have a very good experience with their curved soprano and the forum is awash with good comments about their other saxophones, take a look at them on their site
I would recommend the Bauhaus-WALSTEIN DELUXE AS-PD Alto Saxophone - Bronze - Action Improved
http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/yanagisawa_alto_saxophone_selmerparis_alto_saxophone.html

The Black nickel and the Nickel silver altos by Aquilasax look nice too, but I cannot personally vouch for them
https://aquilasax.3dcartstores.com/Alto-saxophones_c_10-1-0.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone have gone with aquilasax have found a few good reports on the web about them and he seems like a nice guy, we got One in Gold laquer with nickel keys for a really good price as they are on sale at the moment. I appreciate all your help in finding something suitable for my boy and also for stopping me from buying an expensive mistake xx looking forward to watching him learn he is really excited about it all :0)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts