Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,442 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

In my ears B seems a bit brighter and more clear than A. But A seems to have a more complex sound. You sound good on both and they are close, but I prefer A over B.

What do you think yourself?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,093 Posts
Extremely close, though B is a little more complex and ever so slightly warmer at the bottom end of the horn. I think the question should be should I keep the VI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are close, but "A" has more complex and resonant sound for my ears.

I often hear that vintage saxes have some "magic". Does Mark VI inspire you more?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
If I do hear a difference, maybe sample B sounds slightly nicer in the lows and mids. I possibly sense that it is more round and "together". Might be in my head though.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
757 Posts
I'm not a believer in the Mark 6 hype, but you sounded better on A. The sound was tighter and more compact.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'm afraid I don't hear any obvious difference either...certainly no stuffiness on the 66R to my old ears. Good playing, by the way...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,555 Posts
Hands down prefer B its fatter, a bit less strident and sounds more flexible and less resistant than the Selmer. But these pro model P. Mauriats are incredibly dynamic horns. Dark and smoky for ballads and also get bright and exciting when you put a lot of air in them. But both sound fine. Based on the tone there should be no real price difference between the two, and the Selmer might need an overhaul which makes it worth even less. If the saxophone is a tool then the Mauriat is a much wiser choice to keep because its a much better bang for the buck and cheaper and more easily replaceable if damaged, lost or stolen.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
"B" is brighter. The differences aren't very significant. I do not prefer one over the other. They are both decent sounding horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I didn't look to see which horn was which.

A is just a little clearer. However, B is just a little lusher, especially on the higher notes. The differences are so slight that either might have just been how you felt at that moment while playing. If I had to choose between two horns this close, I'd likely go with the one that just feels better in my hands while playing it. There's a lot to a horn that the player experiences that the audience never hears. But it's still very important.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,126 Posts
If I had to choose between two horns this close, I'd likely go with the one that just feels better in my hands while playing it. There's a lot to a horn that the player experiences that the audience never hears. But it's still very important.
+1. Exactly. And at least for me, sound clips are not the best way to hear the difference, if any, between horns. Standing in the room, hearing the horn live, would be the only way to make a good assessment. In those sound clips I could hear no real difference between A & B.

But how does each horn feel, respond, and play in a variety of settings, on gigs in different venues, etc. That's the only way to really make a decision.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Not a big difference with enough scale to say one is better than the other. In the end it really should be based on what gets out of the way when you play a gig and enable you to just play music. That can be a combination of tone, key work, or even just how easy you can get around on the horn. Don't be biased by the Mk VI history or even the Mauriat newness... just pick what works for you. Oh, and keep the other as aback-up horn :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I recently acquired a 66RCL and my Mark VI is now my back-up tenor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts