Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i found my great grandfathers alto sax. iv been trying to find some info on it, year it was made etc. however i cant find any info on it so maybe someone on here can help me with it. on the bell its engraved with "the great gretsch American" the serial number is 130932. also i think it has the original pads iv never seen white pads like these before. also i have no clue what the finish on it is. it has a golden kind of color but is tarnished, the keys and half of the horn have a red tarnish on them. thank you for any info you guys might have on this :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
It sounds like a bare brass horn with no finish applied. Gretsch didn't make saxophones and had them "stenciled" by large makers. A photo would really help to determine who made it. Are you sure it is an alto? Most of these were actually C Melodies and the body would be about 25" long without the neck attached. An alto would be about 22".

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im positive its not a c-melody when i found it i tried to put on a c-melody mpc. its original to my buescher c-melody, when i tried to put it on it slid on till the neck hit the reed. if there wasn't a reed on it might have gone all the way threw. but anyway here are some pics sorry if they aren't that great only have an old cam:(

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks like a Buescher stencil of their True Tone. Probably a series I or II

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. :) any clue on what the finish might be? at first i thought it was a plating but i cant think of any that would tarnish like that, how ever on the lip of the bell it looks like some of a finish chipped off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts