Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently picked up a low A Conn, sold as a 1969 11m, with a serial # I can't figure out. It's 4236301V. I understand the "V" is likely for a factory 2nd, but cannot determine where the 7 digit number comes from. What I assume was 11m has been scratched out and assuming it is a 2nd, I get that. It's a great horn, top to bottom, over the moon happy with it, just trying to piece together a year, why I can't find this serial #. I'll post pics and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've paired it with an Otto Link rubber 7 and Vandoren 3's and to my ears the sound is consistent all the way up and down. I'm a recreational bari player, main gigging horn is a 49 Martin Committee III. I've had 2 other bari's a Buescher 400 and a Selmer USA Low A which to me lost something in the upper range, got really thin, this one stays full.

Any help would be great, thanks

Robert
Illinois
Amber Automotive lighting Gold Drink Font
Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Hood
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Reed instrument Wind instrument Electronic instrument
Musical instrument Amber Wind instrument Brass instrument Drinkware

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
It's not a 1969 instrument, I am sure of that. It looks like a Conn "11M," made during the era post 1985 when Conn was owned by the UMI Company. These low-A baritones weren't stamped "11M" but they were effectively identical to the ones made in the 1970s which were so stamped. It might be helpful if you could provide a photo of the area on the sax where you think "11M" might have been scratched out ? I suspect that whatever was scratched out, it wasn't "11M".

These ones from the early 1990s were produced under two names - Conn and Armstrong (another of UMI's brand names), both produced from the same factory, the change in brand stamp being the only difference between them. Today, the ones stamped "Conn" sell for more than the ones stamped "Armstrong".

The serial numbers for both brands are in the same Conn sequence, shared by various sizes of saxophone and comprised of six and seven digits, of which the first two plus 50 give you the year of manufacture. In this case, 42 + 50 gives 92: thus it was made in 1992.

I don't think the "V" after the serial number has anything to do with it — it looks to me as if it has been scratched there with a nail by a previous owner, for reasons unknown.

I had one of these for some years. Mine was from from 1991 and was stamped "Armstrong." It was a robust machine with a big Conn tone. I enjoyed playing it and only moved it on when I got offered a 1936 12M and swapped it in part exchange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts