Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have some college auditions coming up next year, and I want to get started practicing my pieces now. I need to play a concerto or sonata of some sort, and also and etude. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be a good piece to play to get me into a music education program. Also if any knows of any good music ed. programs around, that would help too.Any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
It's hard for me to tell your playing level. Are you taking lessons right now?

I think a Sonata like the Creston or the Heiden would be excellent.
The Ferling exercizes would be a good exercize.
I see you are in CT. There are many fine universities that have good Music ed programs. Any idea what part of the country you'd like to go to, or perhaps you want to stay near the East Coast.??..

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Not a bad idea to consider a transcription in addition to an original composition for Saxophone. Here are some that I enjoy playing and teaching:

Fasch Sonata arr. Rascher
Eccles Sonata arr. Rascher
Bach Sonata no. 6 in E major

Do you have a teacher? If you are considering doing an audition, you should have one. A good teacher should be able to guide you to literature that is at your ability level.

Steve

·
Registered
529 Posts
Two Ferlings and a movement from a sonata should do you just fine (Creston and Heiden are both good suggestions, I might also add the Lunde or possibly a Baroque sonata).

Connecticut, eh?... That's pretty close to New York. If you don't mind going out of state for college, I would HIGHLY recommend Fredonia. It's about an hour away from Buffalo to give you an idea of what part of the state you would be in. Dr. Zumwalt is amazing and I guarantee that you will learn a lot from him. The music ed program is no joke either - it's the bread and butter of the program there and is rather intense. Dr. Bernhard is the new department chair I believe - he was one of my favorite teachers when I was there. I would suggest sending them both an email if you're interested. Potsdam would be a good choice too (and closer to CT), but it's hard to say what kind of saxophone ed you'll get in the post-McAllister era. I'm sure his replacement will be good, but it won't be Dr. McAllister. BTW, who is the new teacher at Potsdam anyways???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts