Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm a bassoon player who has recently taken up the sax, and I agree with the above comments.

1. Fox bassoons are good quality and easy to play. I have a Fox and I love it. Moosman also have a good reputation. My first bassoon was an Adler, so I can recommend them too - I preferred Adler to Schreiber. Yamaha bassoons are good but expensive. Nowadays it might be worth checking out Chinese bassoons, but I have never played one, so I can't say anything about them.
2. The crook makes a big difference. It is common for players to use a different crook to the one supplied with the bassoon, like saxophone mouthpieces. Buying an expensive crook is the cheapest way to upgrade a bassoon. The best crooks I have tried are Fox and Heckel (I use a Fox crook with good projection for orchestral playing and a sweeter Heckel for chamber music.)
3. Reeds are a constant issue for double reed players. In particular, I don't expect to be able to buy a reed and it will just play. You need to learn the basics of reed adjustment.
4. Bassoon fingerings are very complicated compared with the saxophone. The bassoon has a 3 1/2 octave range, and the fingerings for the top octave are very odd. (And they are not optional - you will need to learn them.)
5. Fingerings for some notes vary from instrument to instrument to get the note in tune, so you will need a teacher to help you find the right fingerings for your bassoon. When I changed bassoon, I had to learn new fingerings for two or three notes.
6. When I started saxophone, I found that I could not play sax and bassoon one after the other one because playing one ruined my embouchure for the other. That seems to have got better now.

Order of importance for sound: 1: player; 2: reed; 3: crook; 4: bassoon. But in my experience, some bassoons are easier and nicer to play than others, so you need to think about more than just the sound.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts