Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a '57 Conn Naked lady Bflat. I took it to the tech to get some screw tightening and lubing of the lower keys. He also reseated some pads. When I play high A, I have trouble getting the note out clear. It's stuffy and it easily overblows to high E. It sounds much better when I play A without the octave key and lip it up to high A. It makes me think the problem is the octave key. I've looked and everything seems to be working properly. My high G is a bit stuffy but I have less problems. I play on #3 Vandoren reeds. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
You might want to try this Panty Hose Technique. on the upper octave vent. I have used this on a couple of saxes to good effect, but never on a bari. The great thing about this method is that you can do several A B comparisons before making a commitment and attaching the mesh with epoxy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds to me like there is a leak in the alternate C key which is the middle side key of the right hand. This key is often used in the altissimo register to help some of the notes to speak. Even if there is a slight leak it can make an A jump to the E. Take it back to the tech. It sounds to me like he didn't do a complete job of fixing all leaks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone. CBANDWOMAN got me thinking about altissimo and I looked at my high F key. The pad is not sealing entirely. I think the front F mechanism needs adjustment too but as long as I make sure the pad is sealed, everything is fine. Luckily I'm not playing anything with a high F in it. Thanks for all the suggestions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts