Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local repair shop refused to work on my horn saying the damage was to great and it wasn't worth it. Another local guy was intrigued by the horn, but said he was backed up for the next two weeks. He would work on it though. My horn has dents in the neck and body, is in need of new key pearls for the main keys, and needs work on the action. The second repair guy said the entire body is bent, but I'm not sure I believe that. Where can I send my horn where I can get it back into top condition? Any ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
where are you based?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
In Oakland:

Best Music took care of my horns for a great many years (1970s and 1980s) and would be my first choice. House of Woodwinds was excellent too.

Who didn't want to take it on?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, A&G music said the horn was just not worth it and there was too much work. I disagree though. After having played it, I think it's worth another $500 or so to get it back. I like the best music repair guy. He was interested in the horn's history and helping me out. I'm a frequent customer there, as well. Perhaps my best option is to wait until he has time to work on it. I'll look up house of woodwinds and see if they aren't as back up as well. This is my first time hearing of them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. You're right. I'm letting the excitement get to me. I need to be more patient. You're right. Two weeks isn't a long wait. So there you have it. I'll just wait and have my work done there.

·
220 Posts
In San Jose, Rufus Acosta. He worked on a bari of mine about 5 mos. ago. I would trust him with any of my horns. pm me for his contact info.
He was overhauling a bass sax at the time that was to drool for. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My new friend at best music, ken, is optimistic about the saxes future. He says it just needs the pads to be seated right to play several times better. From his perspective, I don't think the dents really matter than much. I agree. They don't affect the way it plays. I'll have to get them removed to increase resell value though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's hope for the sax

Contacted Rufus. He sounds excited about the project. Taking the pierret horn to him tomorrow to get a prognosis. My fingers are crossed.

·
14,665 Posts
Most of the good shops are booked months in advance. I've been on a list for 8 weeks to get my clarinet worked on. I shipped it last Friday, and if I'm lucky I'll have it back in 2 weeks.

My tech isn't local to me anymore, but is worth the wait.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
I have a local tech do emergency repairs and such, but I have an old collegue back in Wichita that I like to take my horns to. He is primarily a sax player, and we both like our horns set up similarly.

When he does an overhaul, I generally call him a couple of months before I plan on being in Wichita, and make an appointment for him to do my horn. He is his only employee, and so does all of his repair work in between customers. Like most sociable folks, he does like to talk to his customers!:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
queperknuckle said:
My new friend at best music, ken, is optimistic about the saxes future. He says it just needs the pads to be seated right to play several times better. From his perspective, I don't think the dents really matter than much. I agree. They don't affect the way it plays. I'll have to get them removed to increase resell value though.
I think Ken sold me my horn!

He knows what he is talking about, and is a great guy, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
hakukani said:
I have a local tech do emergency repairs and such, but I have an old collegue back in Wichita that I like to take my horns to. He is primarily a sax player, and we both like our horns set up similarly.

When he does an overhaul, I generally call him a couple of months before I plan on being in Wichita, and make an appointment for him to do my horn. He is his only employee, and so does all of his repair work in between customers. Like most sociable folks, he does like to talk to his customers!:D
Are you talking about Couch Musical Instrument Repair? I used to use him about 10 years ago, but a recent trip with a soprano and a very high bill for little of any work(the horn still leaked, I fixed it myself) changed my mind that he's not doing the quality that he used to do.

I have a guy by my parents house that works for dirt cheap and he does flawless work. I was lucky to find him. No complaining to me about how much work it is to take an upper stack apart and put it back together and then handing me a bill that was about four times higher than my guy now would have charged. Plus my current guy does the cleanest solder work I've ever seen. Not a trace that there was any damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts