Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! What the heck is a Selmer Standard? Now I know!

I have searched the web frantically and can find absolutely no information on what a Selmer Standard USA alto saxophone is. Nothing on whether this is a student, intermediate or pro horn. The only other information I have on this particular horn is it is also stamped STD2, GC and serial number starts 134xxx.

Do any of my esteemed colleagues know what the heck this is? Is it any good? I have a Bundy II now. Is this Standard a better horn?

Help! And thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just can't believe this question is this hard to answer for SOTW! Twice I have posted this similar question. I have looked over similar posts with no insight! No one knows this?

Come on, you guys! I have asked you about saxophones from the 1920's and got responses. No one on SOTW forum knows what a Selmer Standard (STD2) alto is?

The BEST resource anywhere for saxes and no one knows this? Come on, you guys! Help me out!

Vinnie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
STD may not be a model designation. The Center for Disease Control may have stamped that on this particular sax.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep! I heard that one before!

I'm going to try and e-mail Selmer's web site and see if they can tell me. I've come across these saxes a few times now, and I can't find any information on them. If I do, I'll post the information.

I did see other posts on SOTW on these "diseased" Selmers, but no information as to what they are.

Well, thanks at least for the response!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK! I sent an e-mail to Steve Goodson with some photos of this "diseased" Selmer Standard STD2 mystery model. He identified this as:

that's a horn made by Tenon Manufacturing, who just happens to be a long time Selmer USA vendor.

I asked him a few questions on soound, quality, etc:

What’s your opinion on the sound?
[STEVE GOODSON]

average, for what it is

Quality?
[STEVE GOODSON]

ok, not great

Do you think this is a student/intermediate/pro horn?
[STEVE GOODSON]

student, bottom of the line

Do these have the high F# key?
[STEVE GOODSON]

yes

Case closed! These are going for some pretty good money on EBAY (about $500).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts