Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gf, being the very sweet girl that she is, got me a Beechler Bellite 7 facing mouthpiece for my birthday. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to speak the way I'd like it to. I'm trying to get a more Eric Marienthal (smooth jazz / fusion) kind of sound out of it and the only way i can get anything close to that is by overblowing like f**k and its so loud that it disturbs the neighbors. If i try to control it at all it just sorta squawks and sounds faintly reminiscent to a duck. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I'm using the stock lig and Vandoren Blue Box 3 reeds. Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could try getting another ligature or soften up on the reeds. It also depends what you were playing on before. It'll take some getting used to with those wide tips and facings. Try rico jazz select or some softer ZZ's

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
blue box 3 on a current stock beechler bellite is torture to play. Current ones requite a lot softer reeds because the facing lengths are so short. If you really dig blue box, try #2 blue box on that piece. or la vov medium or a rico 2.5 product...should help you a lot...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree with the reed tips. I would try plasticover reeds, i would say 2.5 for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Yep, softer reeds BUT if the problem continues, you may want to send it to Beechler and have them check it out. Mention SOTW as a lot of people here like them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
I would try something like a La Voz Medium on it. It should make it easier to play with a eric marienthal kind of sound.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A Bellite 7 from your girlfriend? There's TWO reasons to be jealous :mrgreen: :cheers:!

(seriously, though, if the softer reeds + loosening up your embouchure (!) don't work, you might want to try to exchange it for a smaller tip)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I'd exchange it for a 6 if you can.....I used to play a 6 and it was no problem getting an EM smooth jazz sound out of it using 2.5 reeds......maybe try a couple softer reeds first.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,253 Posts
I use Red Vandoren java 2.5 on my Beechler Bellite, it has opening #6 = 80". This was a #5 custom, then I had to use softer reeds on it. But then I refaced it so now it is lot more free blowing, despite a bigger tip opening. I chatted with Brad Rambur that had played Marienthals Bellite, he told that is was a very free blowing piece, (refaced) not an original custom bellite.
The #7 is 85, the first bellite I got was a #7, and the only reeds I could use was green java 2,5 - a reed that IMO is to soft for a bellite. This was before I started to reface mouthpieces, but I gess the table on it not was flat.

this is mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdTUtUFRt0#t=1m40s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqAaVdjFR0#t=1m42s

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys! I'm hoping to get a trip in to the music store sometime this weekend to get some Blue Box 2's and 2.5's (I'm a diehard blue box fan. nothing anyone tells me will make me change them). As for right now i found an old Rico 2.5 (like just a standard orange box rico) and even though it's a piece of junk its helped me alot. I can't wait to see what happens when i put a good reed on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts