Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf, being the very sweet girl that she is, got me a Beechler Bellite 7 facing mouthpiece for my birthday. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to speak the way I'd like it to. I'm trying to get a more Eric Marienthal (smooth jazz / fusion) kind of sound out of it and the only way i can get anything close to that is by overblowing like f**k and its so loud that it disturbs the neighbors. If i try to control it at all it just sorta squawks and sounds faintly reminiscent to a duck. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I'm using the stock lig and Vandoren Blue Box 3 reeds. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
blue box 3 on a current stock beechler bellite is torture to play. Current ones requite a lot softer reeds because the facing lengths are so short. If you really dig blue box, try #2 blue box on that piece. or la vov medium or a rico 2.5 product...should help you a lot...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree with the reed tips. I would try plasticover reeds, i would say 2.5 for you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A Bellite 7 from your girlfriend? There's TWO reasons to be jealous :mrgreen: :cheers:!

(seriously, though, if the softer reeds + loosening up your embouchure (!) don't work, you might want to try to exchange it for a smaller tip)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I'd exchange it for a 6 if you can.....I used to play a 6 and it was no problem getting an EM smooth jazz sound out of it using 2.5 reeds......maybe try a couple softer reeds first.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,306 Posts
I use Red Vandoren java 2.5 on my Beechler Bellite, it has opening #6 = 80". This was a #5 custom, then I had to use softer reeds on it. But then I refaced it so now it is lot more free blowing, despite a bigger tip opening. I chatted with Brad Rambur that had played Marienthals Bellite, he told that is was a very free blowing piece, (refaced) not an original custom bellite.
The #7 is 85, the first bellite I got was a #7, and the only reeds I could use was green java 2,5 - a reed that IMO is to soft for a bellite. This was before I started to reface mouthpieces, but I gess the table on it not was flat.

this is mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdTUtUFRt0#t=1m40s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqAaVdjFR0#t=1m42s

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I'm hoping to get a trip in to the music store sometime this weekend to get some Blue Box 2's and 2.5's (I'm a diehard blue box fan. nothing anyone tells me will make me change them). As for right now i found an old Rico 2.5 (like just a standard orange box rico) and even though it's a piece of junk its helped me alot. I can't wait to see what happens when i put a good reed on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.