Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all vintage MPC gurus :)

I am being offered to buy LeLandais vintage HR mouthpiece in 5 opening for not much money.

i wonder what model of Lelandais it is , from what vintage ?
What is the current value for vintage Lelandais HR MPC's ?
Would it be a good candidate for a custom refacing / opening?

i've looked at info on mouthpiecemuseum sites - but couldn't find this exact model to
correctly identify it...

thanks in advance for any info

here are the pics of Lelandais HR in question :
Automotive tire Cylinder Camera accessory Audio equipment Font

Office supplies Cylinder Rectangle Font Office equipment

Office supplies Cylinder Writing implement Auto part Plastic

Automotive lighting Fluid Drinkware Finger Water

Automotive tire Human body Wood Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply Milandro ,
its for sale locally in France and the seller is asking 60eur... so that's to much you think?

My thoughts were : if its true vintage hard rubber , than it might be a great "cheapo" piece for a custom reface.. ?
BUT as i don't know anything about LeLandais HR and wheather its even really "vintage" and how they play in general..
i've decided to ask here :)

i've looked up on that MPCmuseum page... there is no model like this one?

they are really not very rare in the Netherlands and I should imagine that they are even less rare in France, in my opinion not worth more than 50€
as far the model in concerned, look it up here (but they don't have that particular model)

http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Lelandais.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,130 Posts
lelandais was one of the most prolific brand of mouthpieces . I’ve had and sold a few (two of the types shown on mouthpiece museum are my contributions to that particular brand in the museum). They are nicely made but nothing to be overenthusiastic about. 60€ is still an ok price but try to knock those 10€ off.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the pics i've noticed few small chips on the table and inside the chamber...
that would not b a problem , would it?

·
42,130 Posts
close up photography might show things that are extraneous to the mouthpiece like dust and dirt

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the seller believes its from 60's ?
looking online for any pics that look alike ... stil can't find ..
it can't be THAT rare , can it?

·
42,130 Posts
You don’t find them everywhere but I can pretty much guarantee that if you go to a big saxophone shop they will have a couple of drawers full of old mouthpieces and there is a good chance that you would find a Lelandais there.

They also produced under other brandnames.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe in The Netherlands there are lots of pro-sax shops with huge collectors,
but, here (in Nice), unfortunately, there is no vintage sax gear shops at all - only brand new stuff :(

Where in Holland is that sax shop full of old mouthpieces , i would go there on my next visit ?

i thought everybody have been talking about magic "vintage" hard rubber quality vs modern,
that it has dropped in quality drastically in the late 80's or something ?
And that it is a "smart" idea to use some "cheapo" vintage HR as blanks for a custom refacing?

You don't find them everywhere but I can pretty much guarantee that if you go to a big saxophone shop they will have a couple of drawers full of old mouthpieces and there is a good chance that you would find a Lelandais there.

They also produced under other brandnames.

·
42,130 Posts
Muller In Amsterdam has such a drawers with mouthpiceces (not always in good state of quality) Matthews in Edam has a couple of drawers full too.

Apparently we like to assume that saxophones and mouthpieces belong to the few manmade products that were born perfect and evolved towards a growing amount of imperfection throughout the years, so old saxophones and mouthpieces are necessarily and in themselves better than new ones? Or are mouthpieces and saxophones like wine? You put them in a wooden cask (or drawer) and improve with time?

So bicycles better now than 50 years ago but 50 years ago saxophones were better than now. They were created perfect. Subsequent makers lost the knowledge despite their much higher insight and studies. Remarkable.

Besides although ebonite made in the past might have been of a better quality, why would we think that 50 or 100 years exposure to being played and elements had only positive effects on this plastic material while almost every other plastic gets altered (and not necessarily positively) in time?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, nothing left in those drawers ;)
i know Muller brothers very well , they used to have lots of vintage stuff back in the late 90's when i lived on the same street ..
went there this Xmas had long chat with them about the "good old vintage days" - great guys ,
absolutely recommend this shop to anyone who visits Amsterdam.

There's really nothing left in those :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts