Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellp, today I got my new soprano sax (Antigua winds 586LQ). But there is a big problem about connection between MP and cork. I know it is new cork and it needs time to match. But even I put a lot cream I cannot push mouthpiece all the way to the suggested line on the cork. I tried so hard and now my thumb is red.

I am thinking can I use knife to make cork thinner? Is it harmful in the future?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,539 Posts
Corks can and need to be replaced...especially if you use a knife.

You can thin the cork by CAREFULLY sanding it. Use some painters tape to keep from hitting the finish (just in case). You wont have to go near the neck but protect it anyway. At that point start removing very small amounts of cork and keep trying the mouthpiece.

Keep in mind that your other piece with a bitter shank will not fit. Bigger mpcs can be put on with plumbers tape to take up the added space you have made.

Go slow. It is not rocket science but you need to be careful.

Also, dont push the mouthpiece hard or you will crack the shank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot! I spent another half hours to push the MP almost close to the line. But I cannot pulled it out so I asked my roommate to help it (he is much stronger than me). I will probably get a sandpaper to sand it. By the way, do I need to pull out the MP everytime I finish practice?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
..... I cannot push mouthpiece all the way to the suggested line on the cork.....
......I spent another half hours to push the MP almost close to the line.
What is this "line" you keep mentioning? If you are trying to push the mouthpiece on far enough so that the end of the mouthpiece reaches the end of the cork farthest from your mouth? If so, you are *probably* pushing the mouthpiece in farther than it needs to go.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. It is also better to remove the reed from the mouthpiece before putting your saxophone in the case.
Thanks. You know what is funny? When I played Alto 13 years ago, I never put my mouthpiece from the neck since I got my sax. Lol:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
The line is what Dave Kessler drew on the cork. It is about 85%-90% of the cork.
I don't know your experience level, so take this in the spirit it's given.

The line on the cork should be where you are able to tune your tuning note mid C to A=440 (if you've got a tuner, I hope).
Start about 1/2 way and check it. and move up and down from there. Another player may or may not have his mark at the same place and different mouthpieces will not necessarily be the same.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Some saxes I've bought have had the neck octave mechanism bent out of whack by previous owners (beginners?) grabbing it while they rammed on the mouthpiece.

I just use some sandpaper to thin the cork a bit.

I have a Dukoff Tenor mouthpiece that is a pretty tight fit even with hardly any neck cork left.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,285 Posts
Do what Sigmund said. I would add to first clean any cork grease off the cork and get some emery Cloth at the hardware store in the finest grit they have. Cut a one inch by 10 inch strip and rotate it around the cork to get it even THEN put cork grease on it. Remember to not take too much off. When the cork is sanded correctly, you should be able to barely get the mouthpiece on and then greased, it should be about right. If all else fails, take it to a tech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts