Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I have just bought the Demersseman/hemke version of Le Carnaval De Venise for my alto although I don't know what grade it is;I am grade 7 and hoping to play this piece in about 6 months time.It does look hard and I hoped others who have played this can give me pointers to work on it.Is it something a bit too hard for someone in my grade or just needs a lot of time and hard work.
I have listened to some versions on youtube as well.Any good ideas welcome :).
thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
Unless you're a child prodigy, your time would be better spent working on scales, long tones, timing, posture, breath support, inflections, tuning, development of tone, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is not an easy song to play. I'd recommend listening to Marsalis play it as it was written specifically for him. I have a, great deal of experience with this piece, extremely difficult. I agree with Simon, spend time working on everything he mentioned along with double and triple tonguing, and if possible, Circular Breathing. I'm not sure what speed you plan on taking it, but if you plan on taking it at the original speed Marsalis took it, circular breathing will help, especially on the saxophone. I also recommend you go onto youtube, and listen to a boy named Han Kim play it. Kim is a teenage Clarinet player, and just an incredible performer. Hearing different versions of the actual piece itself can pay off in the end! Hope this helped!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts