Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing on a jj dv 7 tenor mpc and i am super sharp. I'm still sharp when the mpc is at the end of the cork. I have no idea what could be causing this. I could barely go flat when i completely dropped my jaw. i can also play perfectly in tune on my soloist. Please help!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Are you using a classical or jazz embouchure on it? What strength reed?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
Was your sax manufactured BEFORE 1960?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Hey guys, I'm the one who sold him the DV so maybe I can add some info.

I believe this is his first actual jazz mouthpiece. I think he's been playing on a Selmer D. So there's acclimating that needs to be going on here. There's a change from HR to metal, from little baffle to high baffle. And the DV is a #7 so it's about .020" difference in tip. I met him in person today so he's only had it about 5 hours now. Oh, and Bandmommy, he does appear to be playing a vintage Selmer.

Because of that, I can think of a few reasons that might make it go sharp.

1) Since he's been playing on a classical piece, maybe he doesn't have reeds suitable for a)jazz and/or b) a more open tip. Maybe playing on classical reeds that are a little too hard might cause him to bite which cause him to play sharp. If he loosens his embouchure, he gets no sound because the reed is too hard. Also, I know that when my reeds are stiff, I'm pulled further out on the cork and when they've gone soft, I'm pushed further in. Softer reeds can flatten the pitch.

2) Pitch is more flexible on this mouthpiece than on the Selmer, so if his embouchure muscles aren't developed enough yet (because they haven't had to be), the pitch might be an issue until he spends enough time on the piece (long tones) to build those muscles up.

Then only time I've ever had to play that mouthpiece where it was barely hanging of the end of the horn was when I was doing an outdoor gig in the middle of summer. The heat was just playing havoc on the tuning. Other than that. I've almost always been around 3/4 of the way on the cork playing in on my Keilwerth.

I honestly can't remember how I transitioned from playing on a classical setup to wider tipped/high baffled pieces (some of my first pieces were a Runyon Quantum, Berg Larsen with a 0 baffle, and a Guardala King Curtis LT). So maybe somebody with more recent experience can help.

My opinion would be to get some reeds suited to the new mouthpiece (I had best results with Vandoren ZZ) and spend some time doing long tones so that the embouchure can adjust.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem resolved, thanks Agent27! I just needed a softer reed compared to my classical setup. And bandmommy, I play a '67 vi. Its definitely not a high pitch sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that the sax was high pitch.
Some saxophones produced before 1960 seem to prefer mouthpieces with a larger chamber and lower baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
when this mpc first came out and i saw a pic-i said the shank was far to short and would cause tunning probs .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts