Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this (bl/black laquered) soprano sax for sale at a relatively good price on ebay, auctioning at around 2k. But if anyone could help me tell weather or not this is counterfeit would be nice! Thanks in advance.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Cus...415656?hash=item3d65973de8:g:hncAAOSwPHxa~whC

Update: I am not the seller of this item on ebay lol, but I have read your comments and thought it would just be SAFER to earn money and purchase a new or slightly used soprano from a reputable online seller. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Pictures are too bad to tell… ask for pics of the serial.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
It looks like the real deal to me but since it's a reserve auction you aren't going to get it for $2k. I'd also be very leery of bidding on an item that expensive from a seller who has no feedback at all. Likewise, while the horn in pictures looks ligit it doesn't mean the guy actually has this horn. One of the more popular eflay scams going on these days is to pull pictures from someone elses' ad or off the internet someplace and try and sell the item like it's our own.

·
Banned
566 Posts
looks real to me too,and i would get the serial# area photo as suggested above and also the markings on the necks,plus a few other photos just to see if they really have the saxophone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's real. Or at least these are pictures of a real YSS-875EX.

But.... seller with no feedback. Hard pass if it was me.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Looks real to me. For the paranoid: Ebay and Paypal protect the buyer, and offer near nothing for the seller. It is why I don't sell there. Its virtually impossible not to be able to return an item, though I'm sure someone will pipe up with a story. Everyone started with 0 feedback at some point. So yes there is this risk that it might cost you return shipping. If that's too great a risk for some peopl,e they have no business buying a saxophone online in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Is the OP trying to hype the auction by asking what appears to be a legit question just so we all go to the auction?

Another question I have is about the photos that show the usual items included with a new Yamaha still in their packaging and appearing un-opened. That usually is not the case when dealing with used instruments.

I suppose there can be all sorts of scenarios when we are suspicious, some of which are innocent. DAVE

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Is the OP trying to hype the auction by asking what appears to be a legit question just so we all go to the auction?

Another question I have is about the photos that show the usual items included with a new Yamaha still in their packaging and appearing un-opened. That usually is not the case when dealing with used instruments.

I suppose there can be all sorts of scenarios when we are suspicious, some of which are innocent. DAVE
Yeah, that's certainly a possibility but if the OP is also the seller he hasn't gotten much good news via his post. Though we've generally confirmed/agreed that the horn in the pictures is likely not a counterfeit (something he already knew) we've also given anyone who reads the thread a bunch of reasons not to bid on it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Unintended consequences? Beware of what you ask for? DAVE
Yup, it doesn't seem to me that SOTW is a particularly fertile environment for this (if it is) or other scams. It seems like most of the folks, especially the old-timers, are genuine in there attempt to be helpful. While I don't always agree with the expressed advice or opinions one thing is clear; most of the long standing members here are intelligent and articulate. There just aren't that many easy marks. Scams rarely work on relatively smart individuals to begin with. Trying to pull something over on a fairly large group of pretty smart people has a far better chance of backfiring than succeeding.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Counterpoint: Scams typically only have to succeed with a few to be fabulously successful.
Agreed, they certainly succeed some of the time or they wouldn't keep trying. This happens once or twice each year at the community college I'm with. The difference is these phishing scams hit everyone's e-mail individually so it just needs to fool one person into clicking on the link or giving up their credentials. With a post in public forum like this you almost need to fool the group collectively which is a much more difficult task.

·
Banned
566 Posts
I saw this (bl/black laquered) soprano sax for sale at a relatively good price on ebay, auctioning at around 2k. But if anyone could help me tell weather or not this is counterfeit would be nice! Thanks in advance.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Cus...415656?hash=item3d65973de8:g:hncAAOSwPHxa~whC

Update: I am not the seller of this item on ebay lol, but I have read your comments and thought it would just be SAFER to earn money and purchase a new or slightly used soprano from a reputable online seller. Thanks!
he says he is not the seller.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Someone commented in another thread recently it that most possible-scam situations involve a horn priced at $2000. Somehow, it's the magic scam number.

·
Banned
566 Posts
Someone commented in another thread recently it that most possible-scam situations involve a horn priced at $2000. Somehow, it's the magic scam number.
there have been hundreds and hundreds of saxophone ebay scams the last few months and most seem to have starting bids of $10.37 or $4.78 or $11.26 so i think there is no magic scam number.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts