Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
If it is Eb sax, like alto or bari, slap a bass clef on the system add 3 flats and you are done.
Not if they're chords. Which is it, Joe, chords or melody?
You have to be specific. Your title says chords. Your text in the first post gives eric the impression that you mean melody.

If you are transposing chords from sax to the bass you are transposing from either an Eb or Bb instrument to a Concert-pitched instrument (the Bass).
If the original is written for Eb sax, transpose either a Major 6th down or a minor 3rd up. The chord names will be the same name, whichever direction you go.
If the original is written for Bb sax, transpose a Major 2nd down.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,136 Posts
Put the chords into the Roman numeral numbering system, then it will be easy to transpose.

I, IIm7, V7, VIm7, bVI7, etc, etc....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just to give some reference chords:

If the saxophone player is playing a G7 chord on:

Alto or Bari sax - the chord for bass is Bb7 (minor 3rd away)
Tenor or Soprano sax - the chord for bass is F7 (major 2nd away)

·
23,136 Posts
Just to give some reference chords:

If the saxophone player is playing a G7 chord on:

Alto or Bari sax - the chord for bass is Bb7 (minor 3rd away)
Tenor or Soprano sax - the chord for bass is F7 (major 2nd away)
Yes, but it's much easier to convert the chord roots to Roman numerals (I think it's called "figured bass" or something like that). Then you only need to know the reference KEY. Another benefit is you'll have a much better idea of the function of each chord.

·
27,650 Posts
RyanS, you can't only say that the chord is X interval away. You have to say in which direction.

JL - I guess there's a first time for everything. I'm actually going to see something different than you. IMO if the OP is so green that he doesn't know the basic transposition rules for chords or notes between the sax and a concert instrument, I could hardly expect him to understand what the Roman Numeral system is and how to use it. Don't forget, that also requires you to analyse the entire progression before you can assign the Roman Numerals.

·
23,136 Posts
JL - I guess there's a first time for everything. I'm actually going to see something different than you. IMO if the OP is so green that he doesn't know the basic transposition rules for chords or notes between the sax and a concert instrument, I could hardly expect him to understand what the Roman Numeral system is and how to use it. Don't forget, that also requires you to analyse the entire progression before you can assign the Roman Numerals.
Oh man, too bad I can't give you an argument gary, LOL! You're right of course and believe it or not it did occur to me that my answer was jumping too far ahead of the curve. I let it stand anyway as something for the OP to investigate at some future time. It's all too easy to see things through ones own myopic eyes and I'm often guilty of that. It's just that I have found the 'numbers' system to be the way to go when transposing.

And yes, you answered the question sufficiently in post #3 above.

We don't know for sure if the OP got the message since he hasn't posted back.

·
27,650 Posts
These threads where the OP goes AWOL is starting to **** me off. Maybe I'll wait a week before answering. Of course, by then the questions are usually answered then, anyway. Hmmmm. Something to think about. :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts