Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, friends.

I am an intermediate player. I travel back and forth between two cities. In the one, I have a Yanigisawa 901 tenor with a Runyon Bionix 8 mouthpiece, Rovner ligature and Fibracell reeds, and this mouthpiece set-up is the best that I have used to date. By that I meant that it is a little brighter and better than the Runyon Custom 8 that I used on it, and better than the Yanagisawa stock mouthpiece that came with it, as my target was to have more of a contemporary rock sound.

Nevertheless, in the other city I keep an inferior Antigua 550 tenor (from 1996), which I was using with its stock mouthpiece, Rovner ligature and Fibracell reeds. Recently I wanted to upgrade the mouthpiece, so I bought another Runyon Bionix 8 (but from newer stock). Wow! How horrible the Bionix sounds on this horn!

The timbre itself changes drastically, from the low register upward. The lower register might be tolerable, but the upper register is paper thin, and sounds almost like I had a broken reed or something. I can hardly describe it.

This mouthpiece does not look defective, compared with the other one, so I don't think that this is the problem. I tried other reeds and ligatures, and I get the same basic nasty sound.

Finally, I put the stock mouthpiece back on, just to see if something was loose on my horn itself, but everything sounded fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions? (besides the obvious)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,622 Posts
It could be the combo or it could be the mouthpiece. The majority of the time you cant actually see what makes a mouthpiece sound harsh. A small (very small) high point in the facing could do it...also a baffle out of adjustment. There is no way to know for sure unless you try the Runyon that works or another Runyon.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigmund,
Thanks for your answer. I am sorry to say that SOTW is not notifying me when I get an answer to a post, so I did not see your answer until today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts