Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am being offered (long distance) a Yani Bari for around $1,600 which looks in principle a good deal. However, I have not been able to establish the exact model of the instrument and ultimately if it is indeed a good price and how old is the instrument. I have found contradictory information regarding serial numbers in relation with year and models and the instrument itself does not show the model. On the other hand I called Yanagisawa in Japan and sent an email as they requested but didn't receive an answer.

Engraving seems original and the serial number is 000377715.. Please see attached photographs.

Your help would be truly appreciated.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Looks like a B6 to me. I'd grab it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
True enough about inconsistencies with Yani serials but I’d guess maybe your sax was made in March of 1977.
B6 looks and sounds right for this. .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. Just another question.
A B6 is a Vito or an actual Yanagisawa?
What would be its "normal" price in the US?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Just another question.
A B6 is a Vito or an actual Yanagisawa?
What would be its "normal" price in the US?
There is no distinction between a B6 Yani and a Yani-made Vito which is a B6. Other than a different engraving.

They are identical.

They are both Yani B6's. Period.

In good playing condition...$2200-2500usd is about the market value of a B6.

·
Banned
566 Posts
yanagisawa "stenciled" many names on their saxophones in the beginning.
i have seen,
HOLTON
VITO
MARTIN
BUESCHER-400
and there are probably others not mentioned here.

prices range for these B6's from $1000-2500 depending on condition.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Could just be the camera angle but the brace going from the body to near the neck receiver looks to be on a bit more of a slope than it should be. I'd be concerned that there may be some pull-down going on there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Could just be the camera angle but the brace going from the body to near the neck receiver looks to be on a bit more of a slope than it should be. I'd be concerned that there may be some pull-down going on there.
I saw that as well, note that the brace is also held on with the incorrect screws. They should be lacquered brass flat head scews, but this appears to have steel phillips head screws. I’d definitely ask for more pictures of the top loop.

These are great horns (I’ve owned three Yani baris over the years) and currently play a B6. The price is excellent for the quality, but try and figure out what’s going on at the top end of the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
The bell flare has a bit of a knock too.....all fixable stuff, and probably does not affect the horn blowing wise. These are relatively very easy horns to work on. The bell is removable and the top bends are removable, well worth investing in remedial work when comparing the price of a new Yani baritone which is quite astronomical.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much for all your your very valuable help and comments!
I will definitely will take all into consideration.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
It's a fair price, but not an awesome "must have" deal given the visual assessment of condition. At least here in the states, $1500-$1800 gets you a horn that is at least complete, but needs meaningful mechanical work and this fits that description. However, the gap between that and a reasonably excellent horn (e.g. a B901 stencil LIKE THIS ONE can be found, if you look for a while, for $2200-$2500 US. These have double arms on the low keys, a better Low A mechanism and a more modern left-hand pinky table. Before I got my B991, I played a VSP like the one shown.

If you can do some/most of the repair work yourself, this B6 could be nice, however, if you have to pay for the mechanical work and some tuning, it could easily be $500 of repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts