Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I played Sax through high school and did one of those "rent-to-own" programs in which I had a credit at the end to purchase a Sax. My dad bought it for me in 2011, and I haven't opened it or touched it once.

I pulled up the receipt and "custom hand-engraving certificate" and it says the model is an AVR/SD-L. Would anyone be able to tell me what model this is, and what I can expect to get for it?

The only words I see engraved on the sax itself is "Salt Lake City" and "Vintage Reborn 290/400".

I can post pictures if needed.

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It's a Cannonball, Vintage Reborn model, with a limited edition engraving. How much you could get depends on condition. If it's like new, you may be able to get up to $2000. If it's more worn, maybe closer to $1600. This is based on what I've seen on eBay.

And welcome to SOTW!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,663 Posts
Your horn is probably a Cannonball perhaps a Mad Meg? Maybe another model.

Maybe like this one?

https://thehornsection.com/products/cannonball-mad-max-vintage-reborn-alto-saxophone-used

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0028/7712/products/MM2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1501771714

In that case see also the price (around $1,500)

BUT, don't set your expectations too high. A shop will fetch typically 30% more than a private sale and selling Taiwanese made (Salt Lake city is NOT where these are " made" but (at best) tweaked)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
AVR - Alto Vintage Reborn, SD - L Special Design?, Lacquer 290/400 Only 400 have this special engraving, yours is 290 out of 400. I just got off the phone with Ryan at Cannonball and SD refers to a limited edition engraving called "Sea Dog". The lacquer on that one is the dark amber lacquer.

Christian1 nailed it. On Ebay in the past 12 months only 5 vintage reborn altos were sold. Two of them sold for $2000, one for $2100, one for $1450 and one for $1595 with the average $1829. Depending upon the cosmetics yours could get top dollar with the "Sea Dog" limited engraving.

These must be good horns because players are hanging onto them if only 5 sold last year. I play both classical and jazz and my favorite alto model till recently has been the Vintage Reborn until I tried one of the new Key Artist Series. If I didn't already have a Selmer SBA that would be my 1st choice.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts