Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I Am Going To Buy A New Mouthpiece For My Mark Vi Alto - Everyone Talks About How Great the New York Meyers Are , But I Tried The Regular Modern Meyer 5m And Did Not Like It -- Why Do These NY mouthpieces Cost More - And What Is Different About The Way They Play ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
337 Posts
The only difference between the modern meyer's I have played and the old school ny meyer one of my teachers let me play is about a thousand bucks.

the NY was a 5M, I prefer the 8M with the current day pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Enviroguy said:
Well, I think that probably answers this age old questions. Old Meyers are different and probably superior by design.
Go to the Mouthpiece Maintenance, Modification & Refacing page and do a search for Meyer. There are several refacers who can turn your modern Meyer or V16 into an old Meyer design.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It not just that. It also has to do with the quality of rubber that the old ones have. As time goes on the babbit factory started using rubber which isn't quite as nice as the vintage rubber . It's a supply/demand thing. if people are still going to buy them then why not make them for less and make more money off them...

Also an older meyer goes by a different set of tip openings to modern ones. a modern 5m is tiny compared to an old 5m.

I had a friend who owns what appears to be a NY meyer that he cheated a student out of - I think he said his student was going to give up saxophone playing. it was great! I would have bought it off him if he wanted to sell it for the small amount of 150 that he bought it for (in aus D too!)

I say a cheaper option is an early babbit meyer. they are nice but find a decent 7M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts