Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just received a new Antigua 590-LQ from Junkdude Music.
It arrived in an unplayable condition. Many keys can move up and down freely, never closing the tone holes properly. Some of them move so much that the springs get unlatched when they do!

is it normal for Antigua sops to require so much adjustment? I do noy even know if it can be made playable.

The weird thing is, I asked Dave from Junkdude Music to set it up so it is playable, and I even offered to pay extra to make sure it is done.

Help, I have no idea what to do!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mate! Thats definately not acceptable from the seller. Im not sure that could have been caused in transit, but you gotta give them a call/email. You'll probably have to get someone near you to fix it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i E-mailed Dave already, and I called the only two repairers in Melbourne - they never heard of Antigua.

Anyway hopefilly it will not be too much trouble to fix it. Oh man, I just want a playable sax! Strange thing is that this one looks quite the opposite of what I read on SOTW forums.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Your in Melbourne?! Awesome, same as me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Twombles62, maybe you know of any good woodwind techs other than Entham Woodwind and Brass'n'Woodwind? Maybe someone who knows Antigua? :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was recommended to a guy at Dr. Sax in fitzroy. I really don't know how good he was, i was young when i got my sax fixed up by him, and it wasn't in any unplayable condition.
Also another tech, can't remember his name but he was in Eltham, mabey he's your guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave my sax to the same guy, Dr_Sax. He seems to be quite decent, and he does not overcharge (well, in comparison with the rest of them in Melbourne, anyway). He will have it ready by Friday this week. Hooray!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ensoniq said:
Hi folks,

I just received a new Antigua 590-LQ from Junkdude Music.
It arrived in an unplayable condition. Many keys can move up and down freely, never closing the tone holes properly. Some of them move so much that the springs get unlatched when they do!

is it normal for Antigua sops to require so much adjustment? I do noy even know if it can be made playable.

The weird thing is, I asked Dave from Junkdude Music to set it up so it is playable, and I even offered to pay extra to make sure it is done.

Help, I have no idea what to do!
I live 30 minutes away from JunkDude. I've tried the 590-LQ sop sax, and it was about the most beautiful soprano sound I've heard. I guarantee whoever threw it on the plane was in a pretty bad mood the day it was shipped. They really are beautiful horns, you just got unlucky.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
It appears the horn is in the shop now for repairs. But, the fact that someone says they never heard of Antigua doesn't mean they can't fix it.

All saxophones work the same - it shouldn't take a technician more than a minute to grab the horn and determine what's wrong with it. If I called a tech and he gave me that answer ("never heard of it"), the question should be, "Will you look at it and fix it for me?" If he refuses just because he's never heard of it, cross him off your future repairs' list.

I know, I know - some techs refuse to work on junk, but he should at least offer to look at it before refusing the work (unless he's too busy, then he should say that).

I hope this all works out for you . . . Antiguas are well-made inexpensive saxophones. I'm guessing yours was bounced in shipping, ALWAYS a risky proposition. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Besides that . . . if the tech is familiar with a Yanagisawa, the Antigua 590 shouldn't be a mystery to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts