Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never played a Tenor so I hope you can help me guys.
Last night I was offered what the guy called a naked lady,
Now I know what horn that is,but I have never seen this horn yet or even held one.
Because of where I live he cant ask much for it as he knows he will not get the true price for it.
So he is asking only 250 British pounds for it,as I say I don't know what it is like, The serial Number is 326077
That's all I know up till now.Im thinking of going to see it on Sunday can any one tell me about the year and if this is a good period for that Conn pls?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
take it!!!
even if it needs a £300 overhaul then itll still be good value,
i love all Conn horns and the naked lady series are the greatest, in my opinion and that of many others aswell!

·
Registered
706 Posts
if I remember correctly this was made in 47 and has rolled tone holes (the stopped rolled tone holes in 48 from what I hav read) so if it is in good condition it is a bargain. If it is not in good condition then with a 300gbp overhaul it will still be a bargain. If you don't want it I can get it.. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
bbbouklas said:
if I remember correctly this was made in 47 and has rolled tone holes (the stopped rolled tone holes in 48 from what I hav read) so if it is in good condition it is a bargain. If it is not in good condition then with a 300gbp overhaul it will still be a bargain. If you don't want it I can get it.. :)
I've seen a 326009 without rolled tone holes, but even without them and in need of an overhaul 250gbp sounds like a bargain.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well, I would be very cautious. The first question you have to ask yourself is where are you going to get a quality overhaul on a vintage sax where you live when you can't even get reeds!

That price is cheeeeap! "If it's too good to be true then..." But who knows. If you can see it you've got nothing to lose.

Otherwise, it's the same year Lady Face I had and it was a great horn. I did not like the ergonomics on the LH pinky keys and now I play a Keilwerth which give me the same sound without the same LH problems. Otherwise, the action was great and the sound on those is excellent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that I found what you're looking for. I Just searched for it and came up with this website that has some pretty goody pictures of naked lady tenor saxophones. Its a big site though, and I recommend using the CTRL+F shortcut to find the part about the naked lady saxes.
http://www.worldwidesax.com/justin's_offerings.htm
These saxes look pretty good to me; actually, they remind me of my martin tenor sax from around the 1930's. I assume that its a good sax. I hope that the info I gave you was helpful. I can give you a lot of tips for a lot of techniques on the tenor sax ( as I've been playing for a few years now) except for altissimo. That is very hard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys I will try to go there 2morw and see what its like,I will post up again after I have seen it,wish me luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok been there seen it there left it there,The sax had been revarnished and not very good also.and acorrding to the serial numb,it should have had rolled tone holes as it was made before 1948,but it didnt.so Im still on the look out
for a Tenor.Silver if poss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts