Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is, Jeff and I am new to SOTW. This may be what you would call a "newbie" question, but I am not sure what to do.

Today, I recieved the two alto mouthpieces that I ordered from WWBW (a meyer 6M and a meyer 7M). I did not like the 6 for some reason. But, I love the 7, the sound is great! It has that warm, fat, buttery sound I have been searching for. BUT.. The high notes are a real pain... for some reason they take a whole lot of energy to come out. I have never had a problem with high notes on any of my other mouthpieces, so I have no idea what is causing it. Maybe I am biting too much? Or maybe the reed is too hard (I am using a Rico Jazz Select 3M Unfiled). I was wondering if this is just a common effect of making the switch to a larger tip opening, and if this will get better as i become more accustomed to this new mouthpiece. I need to decide whether i should send it back or keep it.

If it is any help, i play on an reference 54 alto, and my current set up is a meyer 5M with Rico Jazz Select 3M Unfiled reeds. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
A problem might be that you are using the same reed strength. In general, when increasing tip opening while leaving all other factors the same, use slightly softer reeds. Try a 3S or 2H, and Vandoren Java 3 (they are about equivalent to 3S and I find they have a lot more ZING and overtones than the rico jazz selects).

A thing about meyer alto pieces is that the modern stock larger tips are sometimes kind of strange. I prefer a refaced smaller tip meyer, I own two 5M's, one of which was opened to a 6 by Niewood and one which was opened to a 7 by Mojo. I currently play the Mojo, and I've owned this mouthpiece for five years. Response in the entire range of this mouthpiece is effortless when compared with the three or four stock Meyer 7's I have played. I would also recommend using WWBW's trial policy and ordering three 7M's, choosing the one you like best. Not all 7M's are created equal!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Drop the reed size

Welcome, you've come to the right place.

Lots of other experience guys (many great, super player on this SOTW site) will surely give you great advices...

Since your current combo is 5M in 3 reed, I would start with softer reeds, size 2.5 or even 2. You might find lower notes a bit soft yet it would not be that bad. Your brochute will also need to make some adjustment to more opening mouthpiece...

Just my 2 cents (and like I said, lots of other greater players will give you better advices)

Keep saxophoning...
:cool:

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
You might also try a different brand of reed and/or a different ligature. Something like a Consoli or BG Traditional might open up the vibrations a bit.

You will definitely need a softer reed though, regardless of anything else. There is quite a bite of difference in the tip openings between the 5 and 7Ms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm going to the music store tomorrow to pick up some reeds in various sizes. I'm planning on buying Vandoren Javas in a size 3 and RJS in 3S. Hopefully one of those will work for me. Also, I tryed using my vandoren optimum ligature and it already made a difference in the response. I have until friday to send it back to WWBW, so i should be able to make my decision about whether to keep it or send it back by then.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It goes like this, big tip opening = lower strength reed, smaller tip opening = higher reed strength. However I've found that for me, a 2.5 Rico is good for anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After trying both mouthpieces with many different reeds, I've decided I like the Meyer 6M best with the Rico Jazz 3M or a Vandoren ZZ 3 (still not sure which reed I like better). I feel more comfortable with a bit of a harder reed compared to the Rico Jazz 2S or the Java 2 1/2 I had to use on the 7M. Plus, it still has that fat, warm sound I have been looking for. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah, the bigger the openings the lower strength reed you shoudl use.

And personally I think about 3s are the middle ground for reed strengths in altos.

but I definately use 4s on my rousseau 4R and I usually use about 3s or 3.5s on my lakey 5*3

If I ever used a 2.5 on my rousseau the reed will most likely just choke out so yeah.

When your playing bigger mouthpeices I find that if your high notes aren't that amazing, your not using enough air support. A softer reed will help lighten the load on your lungs.

But then again this is all just from my experice as a sax player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts