Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking only Michael Brecker fans to respond to this post, please! As a sax player and jazz/funk/fusion fan, there's nothing I love more than downloading new Michael Brecker solos to listen to. The only problem is, after years of searching for and downloading Brecker recordings from itunes, I've downloaded all of the Brecker solos I can find that are in the funky fusion/post bop/jazz genres that I love. I've downloaded his recordings as a lead man, side man, and guest artist after finding this info on various web sites. Now that I've downloaded all the Brecker I can find, can anyone recommend other alto or tenor sax players similar to Brecker, other than the 4 Bobs of the tenor? (Bob Berg, Bob Malach, Bob Mintzer and Bob Sheppard). I've already downloaded countless tracks from the 4 Bobs, and numerous Dave Weckl and Chick Corea tunes, and plenty of Eric Marienthal. My jazz listening sessions just haven't been the same since the untimely passing of Michael Brecker and Bob Berg. May they rest in peace...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ed Calle and Chip McNeil

They have both played with Arturo and Ed plays in the Miami Saxophone quartet. Chip is the director of jazz studies at Illinois state.

Monster players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,334 Posts
John Stubbelfield was a monster player in the same vein as the guys you mentioned. Sadly he too has passed on. I have a great CD he made as a sideman in the Michael Grossman Quartet called Express On. This particular album is maybe on the mellow side but John shines on several cuts.

·
2,766 Posts
Mike Brecker's was highly influenced by Joe Henderson. So check out Joe Henderson. Joe Farrell was a contemporary of Brecker. He died of cancer in 1986 or so. Rick Margitza is also similar in style.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check out Steve Grossman -- especially the earlier recordings. Mike had a lot of respect for Steve.

And I agree with the others that you should check out Bill Evans.

·
1,639 Posts
Wow, definitely taking more than a few pages out of the Michael Brecker book, but this guy is still killin' - anyone know his name?
Finnish tenor saxophonist Joonatan Rautio. He's actually subbing for Michael there, normally he's playing with his own style (although a bit Brecker influenced).

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Much thanks to all. At last, new sax recordings to devour. People say Jerry Bergonzi is similar to Brecker, and Brecker himself acknowledged "the Gonz" as an influence, but I find that Bergonzi, while respectable, sounds somewhat mechanical and predictable, sort of like a "paint by numbers" soloist.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Mike Brecker's was highly influenced by Joe Henderson. So check out Joe Henderson. Joe Farrell was a contemporary of Brecker. He died of cancer in 1986 or so. Rick Margitza is also similar in style.
Couldn't agree more. Was listening to Joe last week and its all there; The connection.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Another tribute to Brecker from a guy who owns a few of his records I'd say,quite nice writing and playing.What kind of horn is that silver tenor?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know quite a few guys that came up in the '70s, '80s who were heavily influenced by all these guys and are smoking players. But, they are local regional players and unless you are from there you wouldn't know about them.

There is a tenor player named Vince Denham who is a badd muther. I guess? I haven't heard anything about him for years. The first time I became aware of him was at this Monday night big band gig that went on for years at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. This was in the early '80s and Vince was recording and touring with Loggins and Messina. I remember he worked with Michael McDonald and was in the Don Ellis Band too. There was no cover and drinks were cheap... this was the boy's night off ritual hang for a long time and there were lots of different scary players sitting in every set every week. Many of the regular guys wrote and arranged, so that every week new charts were getting tried out. The place was usually full.

Flash forward to about 1999. I used to go to this place in Half Moon Bay California every Sunday afternoon for years and years. It's called the Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society or commonly know as Pete Douglas' Beach House. Pete is legendary for having jazz concerts every week since the mid fifties. He booked the Vince Denham quartet one week. I didn't know about it but just happened to be out there.

I could go on an on about what a monster tenor player he was but, does anybody know anything about Vince? I looked on YouTube and did a Google search, but all I came up with is some old clips from Kenny Loggins. Is this guy still alive? Anybody know anything or ever hear him play?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts