Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contrary to my username, I play bari sax. I started after making this account. Anyway, I’m 5’1 (5’3 in my good boots) and I’m going to march bari. I ordered a Neo tech sling that goes over my shoulder, I think that’s going to help. I’m going to be the only Bari marching, and we’re going to a televised parade next year so I want to look good. Any tips? Btw, it’s a Schiller Elite Luxus V, not the best but the school bought it so who am I to judge?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help please. Very short freshman marching Bari

Contrary to my username, I play bari sax. I started after making this account. Anyway, I’m 5’1 (5’3 in my good boots) and I’m going to march bari. I ordered a Neo tech sling that goes over my shoulder, I think that’s going to help. I’m going to be the only Bari marching, and we’re going to a televised parade next year so I want to look good. Any tips? Btw, it’s a Schiller Elite Luxus V, not the best but the school bought it so who am I to judge?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,265 Posts
Re: Help please. Very short freshman marching Bari

How about a modified skateboard? - just roll that sucker around.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts

You should be tall enough. Just don't trip over bumps. Lift those feet! I carried a bari when I was in 8th grade. I don't know how tall I was then, but not very tall. I tripped over a brick on a brick street, and the horn had to have major repairs. Since then, I've been wary of anyone marching bari.

I would get a full harness, not just a sling.

·
Registered
Conn NW II Soprano, NW I Alto, 10M Tenor, NW I C Melody & Allora Bari.
241 Posts
Who's idea was it to have you play Bari Sax in marching band? 🙂

Just be careful and not hit any curbs or speed bumps with the bell or bow.

What kind of help are looking for exactly?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts

How about have your band director feature the bari sax so you can play in one spot while everyone marches around you? I think football fans could get into a little Moanin'.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,539 Posts

I'm short. 5'2.5" on a tall day. You'll be fine marching with the big horn, and don't get hung up on how you'll look. Its not important.
Get a full harness, I use a Neotech Super harness with my bari.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks, as for what kind of help exactly I guess I just want some tips. I’d buy a harness, but they won’t fit under the uniform. Also, I can only afford one or the other, and the harness restricts the player when they’re seated as I will be during concert band. The sling is said to help make the Bari lighter and to not restrict players in a seated position. Since I can afford one only, I decided to pick the strap which is great for seating and fine for standing (also: I’d kill to use a skateboard for my Bari. I could put a bow tie on it to dress it up for parades :lol: )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
870 Posts

·
Registered
Conn NW II Soprano, NW I Alto, 10M Tenor, NW I C Melody & Allora Bari.
241 Posts
Thanks, as for what kind of help exactly I guess I just want some tips. I’d buy a harness, but they won’t fit under the uniform. Also, I can only afford one or the other, and the harness restricts the player when they’re seated as I will be during concert band. The sling is said to help make the Bari lighter and to not restrict players in a seated position. Since I can afford one only, I decided to pick the strap which is great for seating and fine for standing (also: I’d kill to use a skateboard for my Bari. I could put a bow tie on it to dress it up for parades
)
Other than what's been suggested already, I would practice marching with it at home in the back yard. Then if you experience any problems or concerns report back with them.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,717 Posts

Other than what's been suggested already, I would practice marching with it at home in the back yard. Then if you experience any problems or concerns report back with them.
Good luck!
I say front yard. Let the neighbors wonder what you're up to.

·
Premium Member
18,561 Posts
Why did you start a new thread with the same first post? That's a no-no.
Indeed.

@cfhsAltoNick - It's not allowed to start two threads about the same topic at almost the same moment, so I did merge the two threads you created.

Good luck with the Bari marching. :)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Band directors who have students march with bass clarinets and bari saxes show very little common sense IMO. Large woodwinds with long keys are very easily knocked out of adjustment or damaged being moved about outdoors (or indoors for that matter). The same thing goes for pep band where the instruments are played in the bleachers. These low woodwind instruments can't be heard above the low brass and add nothing to the balance of the ensemble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,570 Posts
Band directors who have students march with bass clarinets and bari saxes show very little common sense IMO. Large woodwinds with long keys are very easily knocked out of adjustment or damaged being moved about outdoors (or indoors for that matter). The same thing goes for pep band where the instruments are played in the bleachers. These low woodwind instruments can't be heard above the low brass and add nothing to the balance of the ensemble.
Bingo!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,539 Posts

Thanks, as for what kind of help exactly I guess I just want some tips. I’d buy a harness, but they won’t fit under the uniform. Also, I can only afford one or the other, and the harness restricts the player when they’re seated as I will be during concert band. The sling is said to help make the Bari lighter and to not restrict players in a seated position. Since I can afford one only, I decided to pick the strap which is great for seating and fine for standing (also: I’d kill to use a skateboard for my Bari. I could put a bow tie on it to dress it up for parades :lol: )
The harness restricts the player when they're seated??? What a load of bullcrap. So is a sling making a bari lighter. The horn is going to weigh the same regardless of how you hang it from your body.
If the harness can't be worn under your uniform how do you intend to wear a sling? It still has to clip to the strap ring, in the same position...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have found that the Jazzlab saxholder is way better than a traditional harness. It somehow spreads the weight of the bariton so you hardly feel it (OK, maybe that's a small exageration)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts