Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips about a good flute thats not expensive and plays well as a jazz instrument Plus maybe a good book or program on how to play the flute....
any suggestions are welcome...

·
Registered
35 Posts
You need to define expensive. Myself, I use an Armstrong 800B. I'd reccommend the Trevor Wye Practive Books as a reference. Also, be sure to see a teacher within your first month of starting at least once.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Innuendo said:
You need to define expensive. Myself, I use an Armstrong 800B. I'd reccommend the Trevor Wye Practive Books as a reference. Also, be sure to see a teacher within your first month of starting at least once.
frankly, I saving up for a flute, so by next year I'll have around 2,000, I'm kinda've in the dark right now when it comes to flute price ranges...:?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Flutes are not categorised into Jazz and not-jazz.

Can't help you with prices becasue I am out of touch with them.
There will be other threads here which discuss this already, and also at the flute forum at 8notes.com.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
speaking as someone who picked up the flute not too long ago, I'd say forget all about getting a "jazz flute."

The concept is irrelevant until you can actually play the flute. Your tone and control are going to be crap for a start and maybe a long while thereafter. I speak from experience. :D Don't worry about playing jazz on the flute. Just worry about Hot Cross Buns. The Jazz flute decision is a few years away yet. Get a used Yamaha, Pearl, or similar and don't spend any money on an expensive flute until you're earning money with the one you have.
Just my $0.02 based upon my own experiences with picking up the flute as a double. It's a time consuming, high maintainence instrument.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I'd agree with all the above as regards purchase of a flute. There's no such thing as a "jazz flute". Also. i'd strongly recommend getting a good teacher at the start (speaking from bitter experience!) Playing the flute is even less intuitive than playing the sax. You need to get certain elements of technique absolutely right regarding balance points, hand positions and blowing the thing. If you get even one element slightly wrong it tends to throw everything else out. Good luck.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I tend to think, just get a basic student Yamaha, even second hand. You can't go wrong with them, and they are arguably better than most professional flutes of several decades ago. Then definitely get it serviced by somebody who really knows what they are doing. Save the rest of your money until you have enough experience on flute - after a hell of a lot of practice! - to know what you want.

Then definitely get a teacher, even for only a few start-off lessons. Spending a lot on a flute definitely, definitely does not make you a flute player!

Failing the teacher, or in addition, take a good look at the following from this forum's home page. They seem to have helped some people going from reed to flute:

First Note From a Flute
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/FluteLessons2.html

Flute Lessons by Email
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/FluteLessons.html

·
Registered
150 Posts
Neffinator said:
frankly, I saving up for a flute, so by next year I'll have around 2,000, I'm kinda've in the dark right now when it comes to flute price ranges...:?
Contact SOTW member Bruce Bailey when you have some money saved up. He's a flute buider/tech/expert and a great guy to deal with - you couldn't do better!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THanks all for the suggestions, they were actually helpful :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have played Artleys,Armstrongs and Gemeinhardts M2,preferring the later which I have paid around $200 at pawn shops in the past.For flute doubler or main axe listening,try Buddy Colette,James Moody,Frank Wess,Rhasaan Roland Kirk,Herbie Mann,Charles Loyd,Eric Dolphy,Sonny Fortune,James Newton,Jorge Prado,Jeremy Steig,Bobby Humphrey,Lew Tabacken,Leo Wright,Prince Lashaw,Joe Farrell,Ken McIntyre and Hubert Laws.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Art Hazard said:
I have played Artleys,Armstrongs and Gemeinhardts M2,preferring the later which I have paid around $200 at pawn shops in the past.For flute doubler or main axe listening,try Buddy Colette,James Moody,Frank Wess,Rhasaan Roland Kirk,Herbie Mann,Charles Loyd,Eric Dolphy,Sonny Fortune,James Newton,Jorge Prado,Jeremy Steig,Bobby Humphrey,Lew Tabacken,Leo Wright,Prince Lashaw,Joe Farrell,Ken McIntyre and Hubert Laws.
IMO, the American flutes, listed above don't come close to the Yamaha student flutes! BTW, I LOVE Hubert, Joe, and Lew on jazz flute.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi I'm getting started on flute and recieved a Buffet Crampon 228 today. It says Cooper Scale. I payed a 100€ shipped for it, which seemd quite reasonable.

Something wrong with it? I'll get it to a tech soon.

Chris

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,
I read that article before I purchrased, so I'm aware of that.
I think I can do the easier adjustments myselft, and if not my tech is quite cheap and would do smaller issues for me. This is anyway only a temporary solution.
Propably due to bad packaging there some dents in that flute and it lost some corks, but I could handle that myself.
I already contacted the seller. I guess I'll give her the opertunity to take it back or to pay me something back.

What would think is better!?

btw, that thing is awesome. I'm getting already (not tooo unpleasent :)) tones (f'-f') out of it, but the air consumption is :? :D :|

So back to practice and the headjoint exercise :)

Chris

·
Registered
784 Posts
I see on the flute forums (8notes.com I think) they trash the Gemeinhardts quite a bit.

I see a lot of these used as well as Armstrong 104's.

I'm also looking into a flute also and will probably end up with one of those 2 brands since the shop I go to has plenty used at a good price.

·
Registered
887 Posts
To me, the best time spent in the first stages of learning the flute is spent in front of a mirror. You have to see what your embochure is doing. That said, you also need to know what it's -supposed- to be doing, so a lesson or two should not be out of the question, if you're serious about learning.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll consider that!

I recognized that flute affects my sax embrouchure quit a bit (on the first day) it sounds great, but doesn't feel as usuall.

Let's see, what happens...

·
Registered
560 Posts
kryz said:
I recognized that flute affects my sax embrouchure quit a bit
Pretty soon you'll discover that sax playing really messes up your flute embouchure.
Good luck learning flute. It's a lot of work, but it's a great instrument and it seems to be in high demand. I played chamber music for a private party on flute last Friday, with a violin and cello, and it was really a nice gig.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm not aiming to bei any "good" at flute, but it would be nice for some tunes e.g. my mid time target (correct english expression?!) is to play the head of Black Orpheus^^
Always stay motivated :)

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts