Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, a generous donation was made to my school by a former musician, which included two great saxophones and some of the equipment used with them. The mouthpieces that were included are Otto Link's and Berg Larsen's, One of each for tenor and alto.
The mouthpieces work well, but I do not know any information about them. I would like to know of there is any way to identify sizes, tip openings, etc... From markings on the mouthpieces.
The mouthpieces are at least 20 years old, if that makes any difference.
Thank you for reading!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
For each mouthpiece, there should be a number, letters or mix. Links will have marks like 4*, 7, etc. Bergs will have mixes like 95 but with letters and numbers. Also are they metal or rubber?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
For each mouthpiece, there should be a number, letters or mix. Links will have marks like 4*, 7, etc. Bergs will have mixes like 95 but with letters and numbers. Also are they metal or rubber?
And if it's a Florida Link no USA I'll dispose of that old junk and trade him straight up for a shiny new one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
Look very carefully at the mouthpieces and tell us everything written or engraved on them. On some older Bergs, you have to use a magnifying glass to really see everything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-They are all metal.
-I made a typo: The tenor mouthpieces are a Berg-Larsen and a Selmer.
I took a look at them, and here is everything on them (assuming it hasn't been worn off).

Alto Mouthpieces:
Otto Link: On the shank, there is U.S.A. and 4*, and "Super" TONE MASTER.
The mouthpiece is a gold color, with some discoloration on the side w/ the "Otto Link" ridge.
----
Berg Larsen: On the shank: 95 1 M(?) in descending order on the table side. There is a very small "1" etched next to the larger 1, and the M is missing the left line, like this: \/|
On the other side of the shank: Berg Larsen in cursive, London England on the left side, REG.DESIGN (# that looks like half on an "8")(6 or 0) 427/8
The numbers are rather hard to discern, but it seems to say 80 427/8
Tenor Mouthpieces:
Selmer: On the shank: Selmer U.S.A. on one side, and 7* on the other. The mpc is a faded golden brown color, and the tooth plate is brown.
----
Berg Larsen: On the shank: 90 1 M in descending order (M to the Right)
On the other side of shank: "Berg Larsen" in cursive, London England on left, REG. DESIGN 851427/8
----------
I also have pictures, but I am having trouble uploading them to the site.
Thank you for reading!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts