Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble playing the C scale high to low. When I go from a D (3 keys pressed on both left and right hand, as well as the octave key) to a C (middle finger left hand - no octave key), the C note come off an octave higher initially before it drops down. This happens even though I take care to remove my thumb from the octave key before I play the C. If I stop the D note with my tongue before starting a C or if I slow the airflow down enough I can avoid this problem. Am I doing something wrong?

Any suggestions on how to transition correctly?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Yeah, either your embouchure is too tight or your voicing is too high or both. Loosen up a bit and make sure you have the sound of the middle C clearly in your mind.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I agree that playing too high on the pitch (biting) can cause this effect. If playing alto adjust the embouchure so that the neck and mouthpiece make an Ab Concert. If it is a tenor the note should be an E Concert. Then try going from D to C again very slowly while slurring the notes.

Another cause might be your octave key adjustment. Check this by fingering low G (3 fingers on top) and hitting the octave key hard with your thumb. Watch the octave key on the sax neck as you do this. If it bounces when you hit the thumb key, it is out of adjustment. The other test is to go from G to A with the thumb octave key pressed and see that the neck and body octave keys "trade places".

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my embouchure is not too tight. I tried the mouthpiece and neck and I am dead on at concert Ab. Anyway, will keep trying - I think the transition is getting easier with practice....will see.
Thanks...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
wariarr said:
I think my embouchure is not too tight. I tried the mouthpiece and neck and I am dead on at concert Ab. Anyway, will keep trying - I think the transition is getting easier with practice....will see.
Thanks...
Not saying you're wrong, but that's not necessarily an accurate barometer. If my embouchure was too tight, I could still play and Ab if I pulled the mouthpiece out a little. Likewise, if my embouchure was too loose, I could still play an Ab by pushing in.

A more accurate test is playing an A on just the mouthpiece. This way, you can only adjust the pitch with the embouchure. When the mouthpiece is on the neck, it adds a variable because you can also adjust the pitch with the placement of the moutpiece on the neck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts