Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 years old son will start play saxophone this Sept. I am looking a good saxophone for him. Any suggestions?? Since I do not have any experence on this, I do prefer new one for him. Which brand I should go? Vito, Buddy, Prelude, Selmar, Keilwerth, or Yamaha? Thanks for help

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
If you get a used Yamaa 23, it will hold its value pretty well. And these horns are great. Better infact than most intermediate Saxophones.

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
At 9, Rent

I would say, that since your son is only 9, I would (if I were you) just rent a horn from your local music store. I know when I got my first horn at 10, I went through several different saxes before I got my Mark VI. Save your money, unless you know for sure that your son is destined to play the sax. He may changes his mind, and/or his saxes many times (I know I did)... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tommy,

I checked with local store, it will be 50USD per month, after first one, with that money, I really just want buy one. I think I would like buy one under 1000.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Helen -

I'll second the recommendation of a Yamaha YAS-23. It's a great, well built horn, and you can find one in great shape for well under $500.

Frank

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I 3rd the recommendation of the YAS-23.

·
14,268 Posts
When I was looking for a new inexpensive alto for MY 10-year old grandson, I settled on Kessler's Custom. It is a solid saxophone with a tone I liked MUCH better than all the Yamaha 23's I've played.

He's had it over a year now and it still is a superb player. His older brother used it in high school jazz band when his Yanagisawa 880 was being overhauled - and liked it. His mother (my daughter, who is a long-time player) played it, she also liked it (she plays a MKVII Selmer alto).

I think there are better choices than the Yamaha 23, but maybe that's just me. DAVE

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
People have already recomended it a hundred times, but then again, if everyone thinks, people have already voted what's the point, then a decision will not be reached.

The Yamaha will be extremely good to use for your son. If you do have one that is in working condition, hold on to it, at least until he is 12. I would then search for something better. If you have a big budget, get him started off right with a La Vix. It costs a bit more money, but it is worth it, and will saving you time in the future. I would even reccomend buying one as a back-up horn for a professional musician. But Really, the Yamaha is your way to go money wise, and for the time being wise. It will most likely only cost you $600 or less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Yas 52

I recommend a used Yas 52..they are versatile and can take you clear through high school, and they wont break the bank...you can get one for much less than a new yas 23

·
14,268 Posts
ChuBerry47: What is a "LaVix"? If it is what I think it is (yet another Taiwanese-made saxophone with Selmer's name on it), why do you think it is worth extra money?

Taiwanese-made is not a bad thing; the Kessler's and so many others are made in Taiwan, and we've been over that ground a lot here on SOTW. But just because Selmer slaps their name on it doesn't necessarily mean a "La Vix" (as you wrote it) is any better, especially for the money. I'd trust Dave Kessler's personal touch on his Taiwanese-based saxophones over conglomorate Selmer's efforts from Taiwan.

Same with the Yamaha 23 - the 23's I've played felt okay but the sound was akin to a cheap Chinese soprano I once played. Thin and nasal. Playing a YAS 62 against Kessler's Customs (at Kessler's store) was a no-contest. That's why I picked Kessler's Custom. DAVE

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My youngest has been playing on a Yanigisawa A-901 since she was 7. She is now 9. Great for small hands. A Yani copy,antiqua winds would probably work nice. Since I play I got my daughters very good gear;but we also have a sax trio and perform.

·
14,268 Posts
I agree that Yanagisawa is among the best saxophones made. I'd pick any Yanagisawa over any Yahama if I couldn't play them first. And, I'd most likely pick the Yanagisawa after I'd played them.

FWIW, when I bought the KC alto, I also tried a number of other altos that day, including the YAS-62, Antiguas, and a really nice Unison. The Unison was superior to all of them but at twice the price of the KC and Antiguas.

I chose the KC over the Antiguas (same price), based on it's tone AND claims by Dave Kessler that the KC was a better-built instrument than the Antigua.

So far, he's been right, as he almost always is. DAVE

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Definetely give Kessler music a ring!!!!!Dave Kessler is quite helpful and very knowledgeable about saxes. He was very pateint anwering all of my questions when I bought a SX-90 tenor in black nickel a short time ago.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Helen here is the list so far.
Yamaha
Yani
Kessler

As stated before the Kessler horns are made in Tawain. And are better than many cheap E-bay horns floating around. Problem is unless you can get one used the price of the horn will depreaciate. Before joining this site I had never heard of Kessler, and I am willing to bet many of us are the same way. The problem with going Kessler is that they are not widely known, and you may not be able to just go pick one up from a music store. With a Yamaha you spend maybe $500, and you get a Tank. I have used mine through marching band, and it had several owners before me. Its kinda beat up now, but it still plays great. Also you might get a pretty decent resale. I however second or third the motion of renting a horn. You wont have a horn if he losses interest. And most rental agreements cover repairs. Which with a 9 year old is probably a good idea.

·
14,268 Posts
Carbs: You are right when you say that Helen will probably NOT be able to go to any store and find Kessler's saxophones. They ARE house-brand instruments. And that is the beauty of SOTW - folks find things they never knew existed.

But many neighborhood stores carry Taiwanese-made saxophones with peculiar or lesser known brand names, probably many made in the same factories. Neither will you find those brands widely distributed.

But re-sale value on a saxophone is nothing I've ever considered. EVERY new saxophone takes a hit on depreciation. My $3800.00 Selmer Ref 54 has lost value since I bought it. The only saxophones in my closet that have appreciated are 70+ years old (or the MKVI alto I have). And the appreciation is more due to inflatiuon than true value (save for the MKVI, I suppose).

But her question was what new saxophone to buy for her nine-year old son to play - not for an investment. If she wants an investment, I'll give her my broker's name. DAVE

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would agree that Kessler's would be a place to try. I just purchased a Kessler Custom Tenor for my son and it sounds great, in tune and very rich sound. I was at the Kessler's site today and besides the Kessler Custom they have a Unison student model that is only 695.00. That is the same price as the Kessler Custom but the Unison is listed under the student horns. Call Dave and ask him. he is very helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Dave, what I ment by that last statment is that as a Young saxophone player he may quite. Not many people do the same things or the same type of things that they were doing when they were 9. And so in that respect renting a horn, or getting a 23 I feel might be in their best interest. Because they hold their resale value so well, they wont lose too much money on the deal, if they have they decide to sell it. And either way he will want to upgrade eventually or he will want to quite. A Kessler is probably a great horn, have I personally played on one, no I haven't. And I am not ashamed to admit it. Since they are a house brand though, I feel that she might have problems reselling it. That is all I am saying.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Congratulations on your son wanting to play the saxophone! But, if he's like I was, he would seem totally commited to an instrument and then decide to play a new one after the instrument was paid off for. My parents learned this the hard way. Unless you know he is willing to commit to the saxophone, it would be better to get him a beginner sax. Any Yamaha 23 would be a nice sax. They are sturdy and uphold to a nine year old's use, and also go on e-bay for a nice price too. Perhaps one day your son will want to upgrade and that's when the time comes to get a Selmer or a Keilwerth. Keep us posted on his accomplishments...I always love to see a young musician go far.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts