Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with early 60's Zephyrs?
Are these just a so-so sounding intermediate horn compared to the great sound of the '35-48 era Zephyrs? Lower quality brass than the 50's Zephyrs?
I have a chance to run over during my lunch to look at a 1963 Zephyr that has been very well cared for and is in good playing condition. The asking price of $475 seems a bit steep to me if it is indeed an intermediate level horn (let me know if I'm mistaken about that).
I noticed several sites claim that after the mid 1950's the Zephyr became an intermediate level horn and I'm wondering if it's even worth the time to drive over?

Serial # is 3850XX

There is no original King hard case and the sax includes a Gard tenor gig bag (Which may actually be an upgrade over the original King hard case).

New cork and recent pads.

If the only issue is less fancy engraving and less fancy guards, etc, but the sound is still that great, lush sound I'm fine with that. The only thing I really care about is the sound. Anyone have experience with this era of Zephyr?

Thanks much in advance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Upfront: I have never played a Zephyr, from any era. SAXISMYAXE can probably give you a succinct answer to your query.
That said, in conversations I have had with others here on SOTW, I get the impression that the quality of fit/finish/build goes down somewhat in the late 1950's or early 1960's. However, others have said great things about the Cleveland branded (as the engraved name, not merely as the build location) tenors of the 1950's and 1960's, which were most assuredly intended to be a step down from the Zephyr. In good playing condition, I would think this would be a desirable horn. Again, I haven't played one, though, and I am just passing along the summary of many King conversations here on SOTW. Let's hear from SAXISMYAXE and some of the other King fans.
Sax Magic

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sax Magic, I still want to hear from SAXISMYAXE and some of the other vet players, but I can state right now that I had a very pleasant surprise waiting for me when I got there, and I would have been a fool to pass it up. The tonality of this horn is quite excellent, and I find it to be very rich/deep textured sounding. I really dig my '55 Conn 16M, but this Zephyr sounds more "full" to my ears than the Conn. I love it so far!

(On a side note, this horn will have great energy/Karma for me; It came from a drop dead, gorgeous, highly skilled Blues musician. This woman could really wale! I sure as heck wasn't expecting that when I arrived)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts