Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking typo or unofficial marketing . . . Yanagisawa uses the "S" in front of the model number to designate "soprano". OR, they may use "SC" in front of the model number to designate "soprano curved".

Hence, an S9930 is the horn depicted on the WW&BW link you provided. If you should see something like S991S, that would mean a 991 series soprano in silver-plate. Yanagisawa's silver-plated horns should not be confused with their solid-silver bodied horns.

I suspect that others may use the "SS" designator to mean "soprano saxophone", but that would be of their own making, and not Yanagisawa's.

FWIW, if it was my decsion to buy one of a Yanagisawa soprano today, I'd go for the S901 fixed-neck model, which is basically the same as the 99X-series, but a lot cheaper. All of their models play well and I don't think one gains a whole lot with a solid-silver body except a lighter wallet. I own an S992 and an SC902. DAVE

·
4,544 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
All of their models play well and I don't think one gains a whole lot with a solid-silver body except a lighter wallet. I own an S992 and an SC902. DAVE
All of their models play well and I don't think one gains a whole lot with a solid-bronze body except a lighter wallet. I own a T992 (and A990, 880; b991; S990).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Dave I tried the 9937 curved soprano (completely sterling silver) and I have to say it was the biggest dissapointment I have ever had with a Yani.

The regular brass curvy played circles around it.

I have to admit it was a big surprise, albeit not such a good one.

Conversely, I have now played 5 different 9937 altos and I have found them consistent and superior to Yanis other models (YRMV).

Just can't force myself to cough up that kind of change for one! ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Dave have you ever A/B'd the SC 902 and the S902?

When I was in the market for a soprano I tried the S902 and loved it. Was wondering how it compares to the SC?:?

·
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shmuelyoseph: I agree. If I had to buy a new soprano today, it would most likely be an S901. I bought the bronze models a while back because of marketing hype and came to realize that the bronze made little difference. Gorgeous horns, though - just like the solid-silver series. I love my S992, especially after a complete overhaul by Jimmy Scimonetti.

Randall: I got the same reaction when I stopped at Yanagisawa's display at NAMM last January. The S991 was the best player among those I tried, and among those was a solid-silver-bodied soprano. In fact, of ALL the sopranos I tried that day (Selmers to Antiguas and many in between) I came away thinking the S991 was the best of the bunch.

I once owned an SC901 at the same time that I bought the SC902. The differences were subtle and could just have been the differences found in any two saxophones. I kept the SC902 and sold the SC901. Can't say it was the bronze vs. brass, though.

I have not played an S902, but the recent test of an S901 at Kessler's was impressive. I DO play my S992 and SC902 side-by-side. I'm partial to straight sops and in this case, I prefer the S992. It isn't that the SC902 is deficient, it is just that my S992 is a heck of a horn. DAVE

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Dave, I agree bout the bronze hype. The bronze looks striking but I too have some doubt bout how much darker it makes the sax. I play tested a T-992 at USA horn and while it blew quute nicely;I didn't think it was that dark sounding. I went w/ a nickel SX-90 from Kessler instead.

·
1,423 Posts
I'm currently trialing S981, S991, and S992 and the pretty much sound the same. My initial thoughts are that they are very consistent, ie , it doesnt feel much different from horn to horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I own a SC-992. I tried out both a SC-991 and SC-9930. Not any big difference tonally. Somewhat darker with the bronze. Brightest with the silver. Nobody listening would really care or notice. Adding the Gloger neck I bought for it did do much more. If I'd do it again, I'd get the SC-991 and save the cash for another neck.

·
4,544 Posts
I only own the T992 because I got a great deal on it from what I call a "post-xmas blues" sale (every year right after xmas, lots of saxes that were xmas presents go on sale when the kids don't like them...got my T992 for what I would expect to pay for a used T991 and B991 that way, effectively new horns for deep discount). I was shopping for a T880 (which I would still like to try) but couldn't resist...love the horn

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found the Yani SC9930 with the new key configuration to be the best playing and sounding soprano I ever played.This includes pro vintage and pro modern (Yani`s SC 901 SC 902 S9930 800 ect).The new SC9930 has a gorgeous lush tone and beautiful clarity without a trace of being shrill.Intonation is dead balls on and the keyboard is fabulous.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What are players thought on S9930 compared to S992?

Does this horn sound more like a flute, less saxophone because of solid silver?

I am looking for Jazz/ Pop player, not a classical sax.

Thanks,
VaMi :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very old thread..
IMHO, the S992 is a crazy horn. ergos and intonation are similar to all other models (except the high G which is nice). Soundwise, it's mind blowing. Open, rough and complex. The S9930 sounded too bright to my ears, and had the smooth, sterile vibe of a 901 - which I don't like on a soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,601 Posts
I suspect that others may use the "SS" designator to mean "soprano saxophone", but that would be of their own making, and not Yanagisawa's.
I always thought that the "SS" denoted "straight soprano" and "SC" denoted "soprano curved". Anyways, the S901 would be my choice for any modern Yanigisawa soprano (or any modern soprano for that matter.)

·
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot has changed for me since I first posted in this thread. I sold my S992 and S901 - still have the SC902. The reason is that I came across a wonderful Mark VI, and then a superb straight 1926 Martin Handcraft. I had to sell off some stuff and chose those two Yanagisawa sopranos among some other things, to move on down the road. I kept the SC902 because it is really handy for when I fly commercial and want to take along a horn.

As far as comparisons among Yanagisawa models, I've come to believe that material matters, but not much - degrees of subtlety that few can appreciate. Finishes? Nah.

What matters more is how each individual saxophone's pads seal, the key heights, and other variances in manufacturing. If you find a really nice-playing solid-silver Yanagisawa, and you can afford it, by all means buy it. But if cost is an issue, lower your sights a bit to the S901/2 or the S991/2 and you will likely not know the difference except for the amount in your bank account. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,212 Posts

I am looking for Jazz/ Pop player, not a classical sax.

Thanks,
VaMi :)
It will sound like.... a SAXOPHONE.
And FYI... There is no such thing as a 'classical' or 'jazz' sax. Only a 'classical' or 'jazz' player. ;)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts

The most flute-like soprano sax tone I've ever heard was by Steven Mauk on his album Classical Bouquet, on which I believe he was playing a Selmer Super Action 80 (or maybe an SA80II) with a Caravan mouthpiece. No silver involved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts