Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing a Trevor James Revolution Alto with the original ebonite mouthpiece since I started and want to get a better mouthpiece. My problem is I'm a student so am a bit strapped for cash. What is the best I can get for under a hundred quid? Should I go for metal, ebonite or hard rubber and what makes?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,019 Posts
How long have you been playing?

Are you playing in a school ensemble?

What style of music do you intend to be playing with this mouthpiece?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been playing 6-7 years, been playing in my uni big band, a jazz ensemble and a jazz/funk/reggae quartet.
Hopefully playing as many styles as possible- except smooth jazz

·
13,019 Posts
This Is probably the piece you are looking for. I would have snapped it up myself, but I am broke. It is within your price range and EZ does fantastic work. This is the only way to buy a Berg Larsen - from a refacer.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I would think either a Meyer or Vandoren V16, Java or Jumbo Java would probably be in your price range, although I don't know how much 100 quid is.

·
13,019 Posts
BobD said:
I would think either a Meyer or Vandoren V16, Java or Jumbo Java would probably be in your price range, although I don't know how much 100 quid is.
I think it is about $200 US. Too bad ElThommo is in the early stages of saving for a purchase. That berg should be a killer piece. I've had EZ do work for me and a friend, and his work is first class. His waiting list is pretty long too, so a ready to go piece is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$200 is just 0ver £100
That mouthpiece sounds good, but I haven't got £75 quid to spare right now, maybe once I've got a job. Thanks for the info though

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Hmmm...try a Hite Artist,Meyer 6M, or Rousseau Studio Jazz SJ7. Should be cheap, relatively easy to get and flexible. I think that the Rousseau is only about $60 (or around 35 GBP) and it should do the trick nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts