Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,952 Posts
How does a T5 from 1966-1975 or a T500 from 1975-1985 end up with a serial number from 1992?
It doesn’t...

It is a T 500 ( not a T5, different era and different horn ! ) , it was built contemporarily to the T800 series (hence the serial number confusion) the T 500, a good sax, was built with a number of money saving things , the Stainless Steel springs, often but not always, the Low Bb spatula is made of a brass painted plastic and the ribless construction. It is worth less than a T800 But it is a good horn. Because of the misidentification often people ask crazy prices for this model.
We regularly encounter it here BECAUSE of the serial number (but no model on the body) people come to ask.

“...
500 Series

The 500 series was Yanagisawa’s attempt to produce a beginner/intermediate horn. These were only available in alto and tenor. The series was introduced in the mid to late 1970’s and continued into the mid 1980’s. The typical way of identifying one of these is to look for the stainless steel springs used on the horn rather than the blued springs used on the higher end models of this time period...."

If one runs a search there are tons of threads on the T500

·
42,952 Posts
Hi all,

thank you for your comments.
The sax has stainless steel springs.
I didn't check out the small screws on the pants protector yet.
BUT I was told that this saxophone is supposed to a 901, and this would, even if not true, raise the price significantly.
What should I do. Are there any very obvious features to identify it as NOT to be a 901?
And hence - what is it worth?

Joachim.
Certainly NOT a 901 ( the ring of the 901 is evidently different for example), this sax was contemporary with model 800, the 901 came much later.

Read the threads that I quoted above and you will see that you have a T500, the price is considerably lower than a T901 (generally stamped as such) around €1200 to €1500 yours is really nice looking

more on differences

·
42,952 Posts
If the low Bb key is made of painted plastic, it's probably a T500. Non blued springs, single bell key arms, and also that black plastic spacer on the RH side key rods. I just sold a T500, and the buyer is convinced it's a T800, even though I pointed these things out.
Wishful thinking has no boundaries

1 - 3 of 3 Posts