Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my tone "died". My tone went from full, dark, with edge to thing and wimpy within a day, or so I think.

Last Saturday, I had a lesson with my teacher and everything was going great; my tone was fine and full. The next day I decided I should stock up on some reeds so I purchased a couple of boxes. I purchased 2 1/2 JAVA green box, 2M filed Jazz Selects, 2 V16 and 2 Filed Java Red, my usual reed.

I get home and start plopping different reeds on my main mouthpiece, 7* tone edge, and my two back ups, 8 STM, 150 SMS Berg. I play for a while with mixed success and decide to call it a day. The next morning I go to do some long tones on my Tone Edge and my usual reed, expecting my usual tone, and it was gone! I sounded horrible. I played for a while trying to figure things out but nothing was working. I spent all day trying to fix things by switching up reeds and mouthpieces trying to restore what was. Nothing worked!

I really do not know what to attribute this to and where to go from here. None of the reeds I have satisfy my needs or really bring out my tone. Did this occur because I went crazy with reed/mouthpiece combinations after my reed shopping spree? Is my embouchure "confused"? I also have been practicing way more
than I ever have, can excessive practice and fatigue cause this shift?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very radical, it makes me not want to play at all. I feel like I sound empty. My horn is in great shape; I had it checked for leaks and such two weeks ago by my tech and everything was great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not the horn or mouthpiece; I tried out my other horn with the same mouthpiece setup and several other setups and nothing is working. Its me but I do not know what exactly is happening. Am I hitting a saxophone puberty?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think I just freaked out for no reason. I took yesterday off and this morning I was sounding like my self again. All is well now. I think I was just so nervous about this Saturday, starting lessons with a new teacher and want to make a good first impression. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts