Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
What I would suggest is going back to the same reed and mouthpiece that you sounded "great" on in your lesson Saturday, and play on that till next Saturday's lesson. Then take your new reeds to your lesson, and work with your teacher to find out what is going on with your tone production.

Your post made me smile because when I was preparing for my master's recital on saxophone and clarinet, one of my musician friends (a symphony clarinetist) who had gone through the same process years before warned me that the week before my recital, all my best reeds would suddenly stop working and I would go crazy trying to find a reed that worked to play the recital on. At the time I thought he was kidding, but sure enough the week before the recital I had the same gut wrenching experience.

What I learned later of course was that none of my reeds changed. My expectations and level of concern with how I sounded changed when it got right down to the wire because I wanted so badly to succeed in my recital. The recital went off without a hitch because I was well prepared, and I sounded just like myself throughout---no better or no worse. Now when that happens, and it still does sometimes before a "big" performance, I just write it off as performance anxiety and just go play the gig with my best "pet" reed and hope for the best.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts