Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, my tone "died". My tone went from full, dark, with edge to thing and wimpy within a day, or so I think.

Last Saturday, I had a lesson with my teacher and everything was going great; my tone was fine and full. The next day I decided I should stock up on some reeds so I purchased a couple of boxes. I purchased 2 1/2 JAVA green box, 2M filed Jazz Selects, 2 V16 and 2 Filed Java Red, my usual reed.

I get home and start plopping different reeds on my main mouthpiece, 7* tone edge, and my two back ups, 8 STM, 150 SMS Berg. I play for a while with mixed success and decide to call it a day. The next morning I go to do some long tones on my Tone Edge and my usual reed, expecting my usual tone, and it was gone! I sounded horrible. I played for a while trying to figure things out but nothing was working. I spent all day trying to fix things by switching up reeds and mouthpieces trying to restore what was. Nothing worked!

I really do not know what to attribute this to and where to go from here. None of the reeds I have satisfy my needs or really bring out my tone. Did this occur because I went crazy with reed/mouthpiece combinations after my reed shopping spree? Is my embouchure "confused"? I also have been practicing way more
than I ever have, can excessive practice and fatigue cause this shift?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
How radical a change are we talking about objectively? Could be something wrong with your horn...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very radical, it makes me not want to play at all. I feel like I sound empty. My horn is in great shape; I had it checked for leaks and such two weeks ago by my tech and everything was great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not the horn or mouthpiece; I tried out my other horn with the same mouthpiece setup and several other setups and nothing is working. Its me but I do not know what exactly is happening. Am I hitting a saxophone puberty?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
It is not the horn or mouthpiece; I tried out my other horn with the same mouthpiece setup and several other setups and nothing is working. Its me but I do not know what exactly is happening. Am I hitting a saxophone puberty?
Well, check for hair in your throat ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Your reeds probably changed with the season/weather. Honestly, I've been playing for 20 years now, and some days it's just like that. Pick up your horn again tomorrow or break in some new reeds and you'll be back to your old self in no time.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
What I would suggest is going back to the same reed and mouthpiece that you sounded "great" on in your lesson Saturday, and play on that till next Saturday's lesson. Then take your new reeds to your lesson, and work with your teacher to find out what is going on with your tone production.

Your post made me smile because when I was preparing for my master's recital on saxophone and clarinet, one of my musician friends (a symphony clarinetist) who had gone through the same process years before warned me that the week before my recital, all my best reeds would suddenly stop working and I would go crazy trying to find a reed that worked to play the recital on. At the time I thought he was kidding, but sure enough the week before the recital I had the same gut wrenching experience.

What I learned later of course was that none of my reeds changed. My expectations and level of concern with how I sounded changed when it got right down to the wire because I wanted so badly to succeed in my recital. The recital went off without a hitch because I was well prepared, and I sounded just like myself throughout---no better or no worse. Now when that happens, and it still does sometimes before a "big" performance, I just write it off as performance anxiety and just go play the gig with my best "pet" reed and hope for the best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think I just freaked out for no reason. I took yesterday off and this morning I was sounding like my self again. All is well now. I think I was just so nervous about this Saturday, starting lessons with a new teacher and want to make a good first impression. Thanks for all the responses.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Check it again. **** happens. I had the same problem a few days after a regulation. One of my keys high-up stopped sealing cuz an adjustment screw came loose and for a month and a half I was losing my mind with long tones, new reeds, etc. One day I took the horn back in and they fixed it in a minute.
This is one of the downsides to being a more mature player. Your strength of will makes the sound come out when the horn is leaking like a sieve (albeit with significant effort).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts