Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm thinking of getting a new mouthpiece and I can't decide between a Meyer 7M and JJ HR* 7M. I've tried a Meyer 5M and 6M and like how I sounded with them, but want a larger tip opening. I hear great things about Jody Jazz mouthpieces as well and although I won't have the opportunity to try one before buying, I was wondering if anyone has tried them?

I'm referring to modern Meyers and I'm not interested in any of the other editions (G, Ritchie Cole, NY).

I would get a JJ immediately but because of the huge price difference and my not having tried one, I'm hesitant.

Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
You get what you pay for.

I make Custom Meyers but they cost considerably more. A lot of Meyers out of the box are....well...abysmal.

JJ pieces are not completely hand made but at least you know they will play.
(by the way this is not a knock on Jody at all)

·
1,596 Posts
I personally don't like the Jody Jazz HR*, to me they are "A" tonal, they do what they are suppose to do and nothing else, it's not very flexible to me and I personally find it lacking in versatility. It feels as thought the piece imposes it's character on you and you can't do want you want to do with it.

I have one of Phil's(Sigmund451) MeYer's and they are wonderful. great full sound, it's not reed picky and everything just comes out really well. I have been using it for the longest time but I'm now moving towards a different sound, and different tip opening, other than that I would probably still be using Phil's piece.

·
2,828 Posts
The JJHR is a good piece for alto!,i had one and it was easy to blow,responded throughout the horns range no problem!.
To me it was a good piece you could depend on,and would cover a number of music styles,i always felt it was a good big band piece, as the projection was a nice factor.
With meyers its a matter of trying a few out they can varie, from my expirience..im,e talking about stock items here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts