Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase a soprano and I've narrowed it down to three models. Kessler Custom KCS1, Antigua Winds 586LQ, Yanagisawa S901. I interested in your opinions regarding resale value on each horn, along with ease of resale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
Very few new saxophones will return the buyer's investment. Expect to lose money on a new saxophone's price.

But of the ones you mentioned, Yanagisawa is the most respected, thus will most likely return the highest percentage of original purchase price. Yanagisawa is among the world's best saxophones. The others are Taiwanese-made and while nice, inexpensive saxophones, are not in Yanagisawa's league. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
While looking for a good Antigua to buy, I saw two used 586LQ horns go for over $700 each.

Since these horns can be had new for under a $1,000, that's pretty good resale. I'd even say that used Antigua sopranos seem to be overpriced on eBay right now.

I've also heard that the Kessler horn is a Selmer copy while the Antigua is a Yani copy. And of course, the Yani is the real thing at more than twice the cost of the copy. So your really not comparing apples to apples anyway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm aware that I'm not comparing apples to apples, Enviroguy. The kessler is such a low price point that if I can't resell it its not a big loss. The info on the antigua horns is good to know. I have not been able to find a used model to compare the price to. I guess that says something in itself.

let me clarify my way of thinking. I'm not a soprano player. In fact, I'm just looking for something to noodle around on while reclining in my chair. I might decide in 6 months that I really don't want to mess around with the soprano anymore. So not only am I looking for something with a good resale value, but also something that I can resell quickly. The thing with the kessler is that at its price, I can just put the horn in the closet if I get tired of it.

·
14,348 Posts
The points you brought up in your second post make it more interesting but I still contend that resale on a new saxophone is almost always at a loss.

If you are concerned about playability (something to noodle on), then any of the sopranos you listed will fill your bill. With a soprano, you should be concerned about intonation and response because if those two things are not present (and they aren't in many of the cheapies), you'll soon become discouraged.

Kessler's house-brand saxophones are players, alright.

I own an Antigua 590LQ sop, and it too is a good soprano.

The Yanagisawas will certainly serve your purpose PLUS return the highest percentage in resale (my opinion).

If your main concern is getting in cheap, go with the Kessler and forget resale. If entry price is not important, go with the Yana S901 (that would be my first choice if I had to buy ANY new soprano today). I see the Antiguas as a middle-ground compromise among your concerns - albeit a good choice regardless of your concerns. DAVE

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave, you're looking at it exactly the same way as I have been. That's why I can't figure out which way to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,147 Posts
Aren't we in the 'nino section. If you are buying an Eb, I would probably go for the lower priced horn since it is not a "main" instrument. If you are talking Bb soprano, then you need to figure out if you are going to be using it as a major player or just for a few tunes. One thing that I find bad about some of the cheaper horns is the weight. Some of these are really heavy and the balance is not all that good holding it. All in all though they can be excellent players. If you have the bucks, a Yana is hard to beat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a potential lead on a used Antigua which could be just the answer I'm looking for. But if that doesn't work out, I will probably spend the buck on the Yani S901. I figure, Life is too short for bad intonation.

·
14,348 Posts
Yes we ARE in the 'nino section but I just figured the discussion was mistakenly put here and went with it. From the opening post, it was clear to me that a full-sized soprano was the issue. I suppose the moderators should move it.

JMartin . . . go with the S901. You will be happy you did so when you finally come to grips with it. DAVE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts