Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
That's a Lawton, you can tell by the way the ligature rides in slots. As far as tip opening, etc. it's really hard to tell that without having the mouthpiece in your hands and looking at the markings, or having a mouthpiece tech measure it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is Ronald Alphonso. The sound of his sax is very specific, and I'm looking for hardware to get something like this )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm playing now Otto link tone master 6*. What lawton mouthpiece can you advice, for approx. same tip opening/chamber and for the sound like in this samples?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
you won't sound like him by buying the same sax, reeds, mouthpiece etc.
just try and model is sound on your existing mouthpiece.
but yes i would say he's playing a six and a lawton, a silver lawton, not brass by the looks of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, but is the difference between brass and non-brass? I see 2 specifications of lawton: brass & bronze.

I understand that I won't get the same sound! But searching for the another sound is the reason for peolple buy new mouthpieces. I think I'm going to try order lawton gold, but I'm not sure with parameters:

Lawtons are B and BB, bronze and brass

what is the best you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! wrote email to them..

but I'm not sure what type to select B or BB

for example there is BB in attachment, but I really have no idea is the sound of this mouthpiece will be close to what I'm searching for..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
I've never played a Lawton, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there are three (main) types of chamber/baffle designs. There's the BB, which is bright with a high baffle, the B, which has a medium baffle and the plain numbers (for a mouthpiece with a 7 tip, it would just be marked 7, not 7B or 7BB) have a rollover baffle and are darkest. I don't know exactly how bright or dark any of these are, though.

I know way too much about Lawtons considering I don't own one, have never played one and have never been too interested in getting one. Too much time on SOTW!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts