Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an unexpected 'windfall' of €500 (about $670) which I'd like to 'blow' on something 'sax-related' which would be both 'nice to have' and, hopefully, helpful to my 18-month playing development.

Any ideas, advice?

I could, for example, upgrade to an SA-8, or get another mpc with different 'character' (bearing in mind I like the bright, edgy, Sanborn-type sound), or....... ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you currently have the equipment to record yourself so you can play back to hear what you really sound like? You may well do of course, or indeed it may be of no interest to you, but in any case a very respectable mic and preamp for your PC could definitely be got for that sort of cash.

Or how about a soprano sax?

Anyway, I hope you have fun with whatever you decide on!

·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those so far, and the good wishes...I don't have a decent mic/preamp... what would you suggest?
It would probably have to be something I could get from UK on my next visit.
I am very lacking in the technobabble of recording equipment!

I think it's a bit too soon to think of another, different type of sax.

I have a very good teacher, and doubt I'd find better here in Spain, but a 'class' with someone in UK... maybe, again on my next visit. It would need to be someone very understanding of my 'beginner' status.
(On second thoughts, that might be better left until I'm a bit more accomplished at reading and blowing :) )

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hmm actually I agree with you about not diversifying, that's how I feel too - one sax is hard enough! :)

I'm not really up enough on current gear to best advise what to get Roger if you do decide to go for recording equipment. If you want something really, really simple to use then I know you can get all-in-one recorders that don't need a computer and that are quite high quality and very portable - might be a lot of fun! Thing is, I can't remember what they're called :| If you decide to go that route you could always post a new thread asking for ideas.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just bought a awsome tuner, model ot-120. I can't tell you how much a really good tuner has helped me. It was about $100. Maybe that is something to consider.

·
Registered
431 Posts
saxrax stand, or one of those on Theo Wannes new site
selmer reed case
oleg neck strap
an ipod
lots of cds

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Go buy the Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine and a bunch of CDs, reeds ...nothing else needed really after that.

·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks really good, Russ, thanks. Better thank tryin' to figger how to plug into my PC, and more portable!

What about a mic? ....I had the SE 2200A recommended....

Then all I'd haveta do is get it all to Spain...:eek:

Thanks for all other suggestions...I'm OK for straps, stands, etc, but one can always do with a few more reeds ;)

Trouble with CDs is I rarely get around to playin' the many I've got, and I don't think I could be @rsed with loading stuff on an iPod!

Can you recommend any sax-oriented dvds, with decent sound quality.... those I *would* watch/listen to.

(But nothing TOO avant-garde!) I have one of Sanborn, Clapton et al.
I'm not so keen on listening without any pictures!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Roger, you might want to check this out: http://www.smartmusic.com/

For about $100 a year you get a (software) tuner and recording device, a microphone, and more accompaniments (jazz and classical) than you can shake a stick at. The great part is that every accompaniment can be set at any tempo and any key and the accompaniments to classical pieces actually follow you when you play.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
Thanks for those so far, and the good wishes...I don't have a decent mic/preamp... what would you suggest?
The Zoom H4 was what I was originally thinking of. It comes with stereo microphones attached so it's all in one. I seem to recall some people on SOTW saying they were great but that's only heresay, I haven't used it myself.

Marty I'd say that was money wisely invested!

·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are brilliant.... Muchas Gracias :D

It's Korg v Zoom!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts