Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it might be a Kohlert, but know very little about them. I started fixing it up and so far seems very nice. No engraving, no markings except 96XXX Made In Germany. Rolled tone holes. Can anyone please help?

Thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
That's my cue! This is in fact a Kohlert. Probably mid to late 60's. I had a La Chambre Alto that was identical to this. It played nice. They are basically the same as the 57 models with some slight changes to the keywork. These play as well as the earlier ones IMO. The quality supposedly went down in the mid sixties but that has not been my experience. Nice undervalued horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
That looks pretty similar to my 57 alto except for the G# cluster and a few v minor details. Overall, i'd actually say it has a more "substantial" look than my kohlert (eg the eyelet for the sling hook looks very solid, the octave key arm looks nice and the rollers look good ). I'm afraid i can't help on why it has no brand markings. How does it play?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RootyTootoot said:
How does it play?
Very good. I did some work myself and got most ogf the leaks out, it's now blowing well enough that I consider it worth getting a professional tech to fix it up. I assumed it was a Kohlert, but the lack of markings seemed a bit odd.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
Pete Thomas said:
many thanks. Any idea why no engraving" Not even the word Kohlert.
This was probably a stencil that never got stencilled. Put your monogram on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts